Drag racing fuel system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
Ok guys let me pick your brain again for some advise. Installing an fuel cell and electric fuel pump in my regal. Haven't bought anything yet and seeing what you guys use and what works good. What kind of regulator, pump, filter, and fuel cell seem to work the best? What size lines and are you guys running and are you using a return back from the regulator? Im running a 500 horse small block chevy, single holley 750 cfm carb and will be spraying 150-200 shot of nitrous. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Welcome here to the site..What kind of shape is your car in? YOu ever consider putting a sump in your stock tank vs. hacking up your car??? I just did this to mine and am glad I went that route vs. the fuell cell....

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I did the same on my 442 and its better safer at least for something that does see the street some and cheaper and easier than a sump & cell. I am just not a fan of the gravity fed out of tanks electrics when there is a better route available for the gbodys. But if its for a drag car as stated and the whine or rear ended danger does not matter or you already have some parts and or you need something for north of 600HP an out of tank can make good sense. I apologies I am drawing a blank at the moment but there is also a Pontiac guy with black car that has an excellent well thought out drag car setup with great pics etc also. He may chime in.

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
Not opposed to the sump in tank but car will mostly be a drag car with limited street use. Car will have a cage anyways and figured with the tank gone that leaves a nice spot to mount the electric pump and filter. I was just at a big car show here last weekend and saw a bunch of guys doing it in chevelles and camaros but no G- bodies to look at. But did end up buying another G-body to the collection. An 1987 monte. Think i got five g- body cars now. :D

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
Dmax Cody said:
Not opposed to the sump in tank but car will mostly be a drag car with limited street use. Car will have a cage anyways and figured with the tank gone that leaves a nice spot to mount the electric pump and filter. I was just at a big car show here last weekend and saw a bunch of guys doing it in chevelles and camaros but no G- bodies to look at. But did end up buying another G-body to the collection. An 1987 monte. Think i got five g- body cars now. :D
ur gonna have to fab up a rear firewall plate to run that trunk fuel cell in the trunk. cover up the openings behind rear seats and speakers. ive only used rci fuel cells before. good quality and good price. i always run 1/2 fuel line. and usually i run a dead head fuel system on a track car. but ive only done 2 return style systems and on those i used 3/8 return line. just make sure u have a return style regulator. as far as regs. aeromotive are always good. but expensive. aeromotive fuel pumps are good to. if i was putting down power like you i would use one of there high pressure racing pumps. or if u plan on using 2 pumps since u got spray 2 holley blacks will work. on my setup i got 360 to the wheels from motor and im spraying 200. sumped stock tank. 1/2 fuel line. no return. holley black pump. 2 billet pressure regs. one for fuel one for nitrous. and that works good for me. but ur putting out way more power on motor so i would say either use 2 pumps or one of aeros racing high flow fuel pumps.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
355 chevy ati 3800 stall 4.56 posi msd 6a box,distributor#8460 blaster 2 coil msd 8.8 black wires autometer gauges oil,water temp,fuel with isolator autometer tach with shift light worked 750 holley dp,holley regulator & holley blue series fuel pump fram canister fuel filter rci 16 gallon fuel cell with sending unit 1/2 alum line with #8 braided lones,earl's & aeroquipe edelbrock old style torker intake block paralell decked & line bore .30 over manley 10.5:1 flat top pistons,steel crank.pink rods assembly balanced to 8000 rpms canton 7 qt deep oil pan moroso high volume oil pump reed hydraulic camshaft special grind rhoads high intensity lifters crane roller rockers rare #441 casting heads off record holding stocker manley stainless valves 3 angle valve job,screw in studs cyclone headers s/s locking bolts sfi certified fly wheel ati tree master 10 inch 3800 stall fresh turbo 350 with turbo action cheetah series manual valve body new drive shaft incl yoke tube & u joint 67 chevelle wagon 10 bolt 8.2 ring gear 4.56 new carrier and axle bearings all spring and clutches long wheel studs center line drag 15x8.5 m/t l 60 t bone tires and 15x3 m/t front runners along with hurst pro matic 2 shifter mid 12's also i went with umi proformance rear end kit to center up the rear end all in my 83 cutlass

gbodydude

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2008
i run a 15 gallon alum summit fuel cell and a aeromotive a1000 pump.my fuel is 5/8 with 1/2 line returning from the reg to the cell.it is little on the big side,but a can drop and thing and be able to supply it.if it just for racing i seen fuel cells that mount in your spare tire area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor