cutlass custom gauge panel???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Unfortunately no. That's part of the problem. Each one I make is custom made.

However what I typically do is just trace the outline of the stamped metal piece that covers the gauges and then cut out a piece of metal to that shape. From there I cut out my gauge holes using a hole saw. I then cut the majority of the stock stamped metal piece face out, leaving just an 1/8" lip all the way around.

Then the new metal faceplate can either be riveted or tack welded to the old stamped metal piece. That way the new gauges basically bolt in using the stock hardware.

gbodydude

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2008
thanks,i'am going to try it.

CUTT-LS

n00b
Aug 22, 2010
Thibodaux la
I remember a post fx3 did showing how he built the cluster in his car .I tryed to look for it to bump it to the top but couldnt find it.

gbodydude

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2008
thanks,for looking for it.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
FE3X CLONE said:
Unfortunately no. That's part of the problem. Each one I make is custom made.

However what I typically do is just trace the outline of the stamped metal piece that covers the gauges and then cut out a piece of metal to that shape. From there I cut out my gauge holes using a hole saw. I then cut the majority of the stock stamped metal piece face out, leaving just an 1/8" lip all the way around.

Then the new metal faceplate can either be riveted or tack welded to the old stamped metal piece. That way the new gauges basically bolt in using the stock hardware.

Thanx for the info. I'm gonna give it a try.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
btw FE3X, have any new pics of your build?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
CUTT-LS said:
I remember a post fx3 did showing how he built the cluster in his car .I tryed to look for it to bump it to the top but couldnt find it.

Here ya go:

I used a stock metal gauge face piece to make a paper template.
This is the backside with the template inside:

trace_fitment.jpg

Then used templates I cut out for my gauges and moved them around on the paper template until I was happy with the layout and taped them down. The gauge templates have the centers marked for the next procedure.

gauge_layout.jpg

Traced the template out onto a sheet of aluminum and also center punched the center of the gauges as well as the indicator lights.

aluminum_trace.jpg

I then take the stock clear plastic gauge cover and cut the front of it out like this and paint the rest of the plastic black. This keeps you from seeing inside the dash from the sides:

clear_cover.jpg

I also take the stock plastic "bucket" piece in the back that has the printed circuit board attached as well as the lights and remove all of that stuff then cut it for clearance with the gauges:

blue_bucket.jpg

Then the aluminum piece I riveted to the stock metal gauge face after cutting the face and leaving an 1/8" or so lip around for the rivets:

finished.jpg

Everything bolts back in just like the stock cluster:

finished_cluster.jpg

That was my first attempt 7-8 years ago but I used the same technique for my latest gauges but just did a few things differently. For one I used steel instead of aluminum and just tack welded it to the stock steel gauge face piece so that I wouldn't have any rivets showing. I also used Deustch connectors in the dash to make disconnecting the cluster very easy.

The new cluster:

IMG_1376.jpg

I also found some nicer LED's for the turn signals and brights.

gbodydude

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2008
thanks,how did you hook you turn lights up.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I love this site, so full of knowledge. Thanx again, and the gauges look great. You should go into business making them. You would prob make a lot of $$$$ doin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor