1978 El Camino 454 Big Block w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
STOP!!! b4u do anything else,eliminate that rust thats forming in the rear there,under the window ledge. leave that unattended,and you'll be looking for a good welder,instead of paint codes.food for thought :blam:

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looks great! I like the color combo.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
Definetly enjoy the big block in it. Its somewhere in the area of 500-550HP. It's a crate motor, I bought the car pretty much the way it sits at a swap meet. The big block is great but I need a cowl hood bad. I have a triangular holley air filter on there right now that is really short just so I can close the hood. The filter still hits unfortunately. I am hoping to get the hood soon. If you look on the tail gate in the picture I know you can't see it very well there is a spot coming through there too I need to address.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
Finally had the time for the pics guys and here they are

020-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
Lookin' good, If you switch the walve covers side to side it will be easier to add oil.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
79elky454ss said:
Lookin' good, If you switch the walve covers side to side it will be easier to add oil.

Ahhhhh very observative my friend. Never thought about it. If it ever gets a valve cover gasket leak Ill swap them then. She doent use any oil so I very rarely have the cap off except for changes.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Very cool. Overdrive electric fans & AC to! You can check out my pics for info on a simple inexpensive solution to the hood. Ever take her down to test n tune night at the local 1/4 mile track to see where she is at? Or see what kind of mpg she can get on the highway? What gears does it have?

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
docrocket1967 said:
79elky454ss said:

Ahhhhh very observative my friend. Never thought about it. If it ever gets a valve cover gasket leak Ill swap them then. She doent use any oil so I very rarely have the cap off except for changes.

Those valve covers wont need gaskets. they have an o-ring sealing them. I got the same covers on ebay.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
dogshit said:
Very cool. Overdrive electric fans & AC to! You can check out my pics for info on a simple inexpensive solution to the hood. Ever take her down to test n tune night at the local 1/4 mile track to see where she is at? Or see what kind of mpg she can get on the highway? What gears does it have?

The best I have seen is 16mpg. As far as the strip I have never takin him down there. As for rear gear is has a posi unit but I'm thinkin a 3.08. I think it needs a 3.73 or 4.10 hahaha.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
Those valve covers wont need gaskets. they have an o-ring sealing them. I got the same covers on ebay.[/quote]

Actually the motor has had some work done to it. The guy I got it from bought the engine brand new and then went through it and beefed it up even more. Originally I think you are 100% correct but now it has really thick cork gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor