8.8 install done with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowmoving1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2007
cen fl
well i heard it would work and it does.
started with 8.8 mustang rear out of 92.
33 spline axles,spool, c-clip elemintor, 410 gears

removed old ford brackets from 8.8
removed old 7.5 pos
meaured old brackets from 7.5 took a long time to make sure i did not damage brackets and spring pad
used same lengths and angles to weld brackets to 8.8
i'm a ok welder i did the welding with .035 flux core
no speical tools needed
used mustang adj upper control arms,stock lower until i buy adj lower,stock g-body lower by the way
well here are pics
hope this will help anbody in future just ask if you have questions.
total cost used 8.8 race preped 400.00
upper adj arms mustang 60.00 used, welding supplies 50.00
took about 5hours with help of 3 good friends
stll working on rims and driveshaft will update in a few weeks

montewith88ford005.jpg

montewith88ford007.jpg

montewith88ford010.jpg

montewith88ford011.jpg

montewith88ford013.jpg

montewith88ford014.jpg

montewith88ford015.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
What did you do about wheels? Are you using the Ford 4 lug or did you switch it to a GM 5 lug? Would the stock g body upper arms fit the housing? ( I don't want heim joints as my car is mostly street and I don't want the noise)
Is it the same width as the stock G body rear axle? All in all a cool install, makes me thing about doing it myself!

slowmoving1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2007
cen fl
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
What did you do about wheels? Are you using the Ford 4 lug or did you switch it to a GM 5 lug? Would the stock g body upper arms fit the housing? ( I don't want heim joints as my car is mostly street and I don't want the noise)
Is it the same width as the stock G body rear axle? All in all a cool install, makes me thing about doing it myself!

using 4 lug for now.
will get 5 lug drilled later for nhra specs
you need adj uppers for the 8.8 swap, stock uppers will not work due to pinion angles and so forth
the pinion angles is set at -2 deg for hard hit of the t-brake
1/4 inch diffrence in rear not enough to worry about because i have to buy rims... but i heard stock backspacing will work

find you a 8.8 and i'll help you do the swap later

wolfs1959

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2007
Kansas city MO
Good Job man.

are the spring pads the only things you had to weld on to the 8.8? sorry i know absolutely nothing about newer mustangs. also i think i saw a couple different places that made axles/brakes for about any bolt patern you could want this is probably the route I will take. You got my wheels turning also.

Joe

slowmoving1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2007
cen fl
wolfs1959 said:
Good Job man.

are the spring pads the only things you had to weld on to the 8.8? sorry i know absolutely nothing about newer mustangs. also i think i saw a couple different places that made axles/brakes for about any bolt patern you could want this is probably the route I will take. You got my wheels turning also.

Joe
have to weld spring pad as well as lower control arm brackets. axles are easy just get 5 lug mustang pattren from 79-93 and check backspacing your there.{ps 87-93 stang is factory 4 lug]
i feel this is a easy swap just take your time and have some friends come help

dirty joe

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2006
405 okc
just an opinion here, but if this car is goin to be used for drag racing (which it obviously sounds like it), you might want to make some brackets to raise the rear of the upper control arms. the car hooks a lot better when the intersection point of the upper and lower control arms intersects towards the front of the car. we have gotten huge increase in 60ft times by doin this (they actually make no-hops bars for this deal, just dont know if they will work on a ford rearend). thanks, joe

slowmoving1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2007
cen fl
dirty joe said:
just an opinion here, but if this car is goin to be used for drag racing (which it obviously sounds like it), you might want to make some brackets to raise the rear of the upper control arms. the car hooks a lot better when the intersection point of the upper and lower control arms intersects towards the front of the car. we have gotten huge increase in 60ft times by doin this (they actually make no-hops bars for this deal, just dont know if they will work on a ford rearend). thanks, joe

can i see some pics of your set up? sounds like something i need to look into before i build my anti roll bar thanks what does the 468 run in your sig looks nice

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Very cool. I've never seen one in a GBody before. Looks good. Where did you get the 33 spline axles?

dirty joe

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2006
405 okc
well, i have a 9", and i made my own control arm brackets for the rear-end. they are just taller than stock. but yes, i can get a pic for ya.

my car, havnt got a chance to run it yet. i beat a 10.80 car on the street n/a. but that was with a slippin trans, and a converter way too lose. so, i have it tore back down now, gettin trans built, have a converter on order, doin a cage, and building some bigger headers. these 1 3/4 primaries are killin me.

what do you plan on running? what motor you have for it?

slowmoving1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2007
cen fl
Chevyman85 said:
Very cool. I've never seen one in a GBody before. Looks good. Where did you get the 33 spline axles?

moser 33 spline axles,moser spool, if i went to 35 spline i would have to change 8.8 housing end to big ford stuffand that = pain in the but

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor