ANTI Roll Bar Type - INSTALLED PICTURES ADDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
I have an Olds powered 79 Cutlass Salon that pulls both front wheels and is running 10.8's in the 1/4. However the car twists like a pretzel lifting the LF about 12" and the RF about 6" even with 15# in the RR air bag. I plan to install an anti roll bar but would like to keep my 3" tailpipes. I see there are 2 basic types, the most popular seems to be the bar between the frame rails (Wolfe style) with links down to the axle. The other kind looks like a rear sway bar mounted to the rear axle tubes with poly bushings and links that go up to the frame (BMR/HR partsnstuff type) . It appears the under axle bar may clear the exhaust. Do the 2 style bars work equally well? Thanks.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York

88olds421

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Re: ANTI Roll Bar Type

Check out the GBodyparts.com webiste. They carry the HRParts anti roll/Sway Bar. It is a pretty sweet set up. Don't have to drill holes in your floor or do any welding.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

So your car has no sway bar on the rear at all? If that's the case why not bolt on a factory (or factory type aftermarket) gbody sway bar? They bolt up to the lower trailing arms so the exhaust won't be an issue.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009

I already have a 1-1/4" rear sway bar installed, it doesn't help much. This is a transbrake launch with 13# in the RR air bag. I would like to know if the bar under the rear end works well. Thanks. See the photo of my car below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.

I have several friends with the sway bar type and they work well too. Not sure about the exhaust but I can look at it this weekend and probably get some pics of the setup. This is on a stock eliminator type car so it must be a bolt on type and no weld on stuff. I'll get the brand and more info and let ya know.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

OK I see. :)

I don't know if you're gonna get away with your existing exhaust and the other types of bars. Nice car BTW!

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009

I got under my car yeaterday and decided to install the under axle BMR/HRparts/Spohn type drag race anti roll bar. From the close up photos of where it attaches to the frame, it will definitely clear my 3" tail pipes. Now I need to decide on the brand. One of them is a hollow bar but it costs $110 more than the other 2. They all have different axle clamps, some have a space for the brake line, others require moving it. There is no way the Wolfe type bar will clear the pipes. My son has a Wolfe bar in his '87 442, it works great but rides like a buck board.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009

I received my Spohn anti-roll bar yesterday. They had a holiday sale over the weekend and discounted it $60 to $335 plus shipping. What a nice quality piece with heavy duty rod ends. I hope to install it this weekend and I will post some pictures.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
It's in!

I installed my new Spohn drag race anti roll bar yesterday. It went in easily with no problems and everything fit perfect. It is a first class powder coated piece with grade 8 hardware and 5/8" diameter spherical rod end bolts (the largest of the 3 brands I checked). It cleared my 3" diameter Pypes tail pipes, which was my biggest concern. My car has an 87 442 8.5 rear with 2-5/8" axle tubes, so it required the $15 additional, 1/2" thick, spacers to clear the bottom of the center section.

The 1-5/16" diameter solid bar, spherical links, axle brackets and hardware weighed 32#, but the 1-3/8" diameter stock style roll bar I removed weighed 24#. I posted some of the installed pictures below. The spacers can be seen on the axle brackets between the lower bracket and the poly bushing. Installation required drilling only four 3/8" holes in the bottom flange of the cross member for the link mounts. The upper link mounts have 1/8" thick sandwich plates on top of the cross member that cannot be seen in the pictures. Track testing will have to wait until the spring because Englishtown has already closed for the winter. The ride seems unaffected and there is no binding. I left the old air bags in place, but they are not inflated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor