Ram Air Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2010
88hurstolds said:
mondo1 said:
The white car in the photo looks awesome, my only issue is the scoops are very thin looking from a side profile and fade to near nothing at the back unlike the original hoods which are pretty stout. We have that ridge at the back because we wanted to make something slightly taller and we want it to be functional it will offer a little more clearance than a stock hood this way (Most of our customers are looking for More clearance).
Thanks!
I'll have to disagree with you, the hood on my car believe it or not has loads of clearance under the hood and the white color throws off the profile. The scoops are not thin and are pretty tall, any taller and it starts to look obnoxious and throws the lines off on the car, I'll bring it in so you can see for yourself. Any taller and it starts to be an issue with seeing over the dang thing.
The hood is already loud so that is why it was made with a lower profile, plus Oldsmobiles are more of a gentelmans car with subtle agressivness, more of a luxury sports car/cruiser, not an in your face lets race... also G-body Cutlasses are not as agressive looking as the Muscle Car era 68-72 Cutlasses and are also not as agressive looking as Monte's are.
That is why cowl hoods look horrible on them and the tall hood doesn't work because of the sloping of the nose, before you know it your car starts too look like the side profile of Jerry Springers nose (which I've seen in person before). :lol:
Regardless Kudos for taking on the task, I would still want one, perhaps custom made as well as adding an air box to mine.
Here is a quick photoshop which will shows the original height and the height we are going for, we didnt want too extreme but still wanted a little taller giving it the subtle aggressiveness, Meaty yet still gentlemanly :D

Attachments

• gentlemans cutlass.jpg
    gentlemans cutlass.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 7,978

mondo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2010
442airbox.jpg

here is an update of the hood were putting our first one together you can see the air box is in place which will draw the air from the ramair scoops and direct it into the carb :D

HILTON

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2010
I think that the scoops should line up with the grills like the orginal one looks. All though that would make the scoops a little more narrow. Look at the red hood and you will see what Im talking about. These hoods are still bad a$$ more so when you compare them to a giant cowled hood.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Great work ..

Like a few others I want a belongs there look . It a bold hood no matter what .

Thinner side profile is major one . Really sticks out . I know function of ram air dictates the height.

But great job just getting after market part for Gbody is great

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I'd definitely get this hood for my 85 if it were offered . . . I hope the angle of the scoops are addressed though

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I want one :D

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I think the reason these W25 types of hoods for the 81-88s haven't sold well in the past is because many feel that the angles of the scoops are incorrect for the G-Body . . . it doesn't line up well with the hood edge.

I made this quick Photoshop of what people been asking for regarding the angles. Some even feel that the scoops are too narrow . . . however I don't feel thats a problem if the angles are correct.

hood.jpg

Stokedcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2011
Backwoods
I hate to bring back a dead thread but I've been looking everywhere for one of these hoods for my 80 olds cutlass s. And all I can find is the dang cowl hoods can anyone point me in the direction of a comp that makes one I checked vfn s website and nothin any help would be fantastic

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Brick442 said:
I'd definitely get this hood for my 85 if it were offered . . . I hope the angle of the scoops are addressed though

There are two styling problems with the W-25 hood on a G-body. The first is the angle of the leading edge of the scoops. The second is the width of the scoops. On the 1970-72 cars, the width of the scoops was chosen to match the width of the grilles. It's way off on the G-body grilles.

442_Hood.jpg

VS.

Picture041.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor