fiberglass hood or steel hood with scoop

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFullMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2010
I had a shaker hood scoop glassed backwards on my hood on my 1st Regal. The car was white and I never finished the putty work on the hood so I sprayed the hood flat black. It was a functioning ram air too. It looked good in my in my eyes. go with a scoop to be different. Lots of different styles to choose from. I wish I had pics of that car..... Never took a single one the 3 yrs I owned it. waslifted to fit 295/50r15s under the rear on Cagar S/S rims.... looked bad azz :twisted:

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
Chris Van said:
http://charliemckinley.com/442/DSC02031.JPG

And 442 stands for 4 barrel 4 speed and dual exhaust..... (check the link)
And Pro stock cars are stock cars with 500 ci engines with dual 4's....
And nascar stands for National Association of Stock Car Automobile Racing...... (atleast they are using cowl induction)(all brands)
And an 86 442 was considered a muscle car at the time.......
And every other Mustang out there has a cowl hood on it.....

And what was your point again????

In that picture the 442 stands for 4 Cylinder, 4 Speed (auto), and 2 tailpipes off the single muffler :rofl: :blam:

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
The scoop is really growing on me, they look great on 70-72 buick a bodies and i think it wouldnt look bad on a g body. I'm not going to worry much about a screen unless i find a ton of dead bugs on my air cleaner element.

I'm pretty sure it's a bolt on scoop also as I've seen them both bonded on and bolted on to a hood.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
I think big mail-box forward-facing scoops are fugly! Cowl hoods look nice if you need the room but I too prefer the lower profile H/O type, or inlet type like the late 60's & 70's cars. I saw someone use a newer Camaro type on a G-body before and it looked OK, and another time I saw someone use a 66-67 Vette type scoop with the ^ arrow in front of it. You could sure tell what they were trying to imitate, but it looked ok.

Of course, it is your car so do what you want. But, since you asked, there's my 2 cents worth...

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Blake442 said:
Cowl hoods are for Chevys! :lol:

x2! Don't get me wrong though, cowl hoods are proper on Chevys, but not an Olds. Go with something that has a resemblance of something potentially stock. The beauty of g-bodies is un-bastardizing them from the corporate machine.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
maddog20_20 said:
Chris Van said:

And nascar stands for National Association of Stock Car Automobile Racing...... (atleast they are using cowl induction)(all brands)

In that picture the 442 stands for 4 Cylinder, 4 Speed (auto), and 2 tailpipes off the single muffler :rofl: :blam:

The 2 actually referred to the two cams in the DOHC Quad 4 under the hood...

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
buy them both and give me the one ya dont want :lol:

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
Blake442 said:
maddog20_20 said:
Chris Van said:

The 2 actually referred to the two cams in the DOHC Quad 4 under the hood...

You are exactly right.... So it really is a muscle car....
What was I ever thinking????
Damn, and all these years I laughed at Oldsmobile for even insulting the 442 name by putting it on those cars. I guess I had my head up my rear for not realizing that was true Detroit MUSCLE. Just like I did when I decided I wanted a cowl hood for my Cutlass. Some of you guys act like a plain old Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Regal, Grand Prix, etc. are some type of COPO cars that are going to be on the Barret Jackson block in the next year or two.
The fact is they were not built as anything special at the time and other than those of us that like them, they never will be. Therefore, the owners can build their cars to suit them to their liking. Therefore making it special to them. I could personally give a sh*t less what the next man thinks about my car and if he thinks I should have left it stock or not. I built it and will continue to build it to my tatse. And I hope original poster will do the same with his.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I've been doing some thinking, maybe the scoop will end up looking like sh*t on my car so the hood is back in for now.

How is the quality of the hoods specifically from Glasstek?

How good do they "bolt up" meaning is there any bad fitment issues or bolt hole issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor