are all 2004R transmissions the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Just wondering if there are different versions or years/models of this transmission and what makes one year or model better or worse than the others. Mine is out of a 88 caprice wagon. I have the tag number. anybody got any info on build changes or upgrades from the general throughout the years?
THanks!

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Yes there is different versions. For example the GN 86-87 used a brf valve body some have the Kc valve body some have BQ and so on and so forth. The case is essentialy the same but the internals differ valve bodies govenors etc. The brf is suppost to be the most desired but i not 100% on that.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Im thinking this one is a KCF code trans. Im hoping that it has a bit more strength since it was in a Caprice wagon.
Thanks!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
checked it again....its a KTF code.
I found this article on Hemmings web page.
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... ture9.html

and also this info.....

Here is a chart of some of the more popular codes:
TH-200-R4 ID's:
ID Year(s) Application
KZF Olds 442/Hurst
CZF 85-88 Monte SS
CRF 85-88 LG4 305 powered Monte Carlos/Pont Gr Prix
BRF 86-87 GN/T-Type/Turbo Regals
BQ 84-85 GN/T-Type/Turbo Regals
BR 83 Model T-Types
TAF 89 Turbo Trans Am
OZ Hurst Olds
OM Olds 350 Diesels
OG lds 307
BY V-6 252 Cars
AA and AP Cadillac's

Unfortuately, I dont see a KTF code here, so I dont know whether its a better one or not... :roll:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bill,
The 200-4R unit that I have is a CTF code. Apparently from an '89 Chevy Caprice. It will definitely need some upgrades for a performance application. Valve body, governor, servo, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor