Proper fluid for 700r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
What is the proper type of fluid for the 700r4 between Dexmerc III and Dexmerc VI? Autozone told me that Dexmerc VI is the proper fluid, not that I trust Autozone guys too much. But after reading some posts on diesel and other forums, a lot of people are running Dexmerc III. So what is the proper fluid to be using in the 700r4?

Since Dexmerc VI is a synthetic, it kinda makes sense in my mind since the thinner synthetic fluid would reach the overdrive clutch packs better than regular transmission fluid.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
According to GM dexron VI is backwards compatable to older vehicles that used dexron III and dexron II. I still run dex III in my car (th350), but like dex II which is what these cars came with I believe, dexron III is slowly being phased out. I honestly would stay with dexron III, but that's just my opinion.

*However, dexron VI is NOT compatable with power steering or manual transmissions though.....So it does lack something?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I use dextron III in my 700, I was told to use it my trans shop buddies

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Well you gotta figure when the 700r4 was introduced they didn't have Dexron V, VI, or even III. I would stay with Dex III, bowtieoverdrives recommends to not use sythetics.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i've not heard good things about synthetic ATF. Dex 4 is VERY good, and costs the same as 3--and is completely compatible of course--i've also heard that ford type F is a very good "performance" atf in gm transmissions.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
i've also heard that ford type F is a very good "performance" atf in gm transmissions.
i've not heard good things about synthetic ATF. Dex 4 is VERY good, and costs the same as 3--and is completely compatible of course--i've also heard that ford type F is a very good "performance" atf in gm transmissions.

I have heard the same, I believe Freddy Brown Race Transmissions uses Ford trans fluid in GM trans.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
megaladon6 said:
i've also heard that ford type F is a very good "performance" atf in gm transmissions.

it's basically what the b&m "trickshift" fluid is, but with a few other additives in it... something to do with the friction modifiers in the fluid, causing the clutch packs to grab at lower pressures... I could be wrong though, older minds play tricks! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor