Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Hey guys, I would like to customize me a stock hood. This will be for a cutty of course. Tell me if ya'll think an air deflector type hood would look good on our cars. I'm wanting something that no one else else and just maybe make someone else want one. I'll show some pics from a firebird.

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 4,380
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 4,673
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 4,328

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I'll probably be working on a custom hood for my '87 as well when it gets warmer. I've done some research into the "air deflector" stuff and the issue with it is that unless you have wind tunnel testing and such, you can end up with something that doesn't work just as easy as something that might.

I also hate the typical cowl hoods out there as well as most any non-stock hood on an Olds. They just don't flow well with the body lines of the car and tend to look like an afterthought. However I think if you design one similar to the F-body in your post, it would look a lot better than the typical G-body cowl hoods.

On most any aftermarkt cowl scoop, their sides are always straight up and down for the most part. I think if you do a wide angle on the sides (45* or so) it would help the transition from a flat hood to the cowl portion much more pleasing on the eye.

My idea is to make a cowl scoop that actually starts at the very front of the header panel and is the full width of the hood between the two body lines that run towards the windshield.

I'm thinking if I take a few sheets of 1/4" plywood or masonite and cut templates out of it for the profile of the hood and scoop, then glue styrofoam in between the sheets and carve it to the shape I want, I can use that as a mold to make the fiberglass.

stallings.sean

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2010
windsor, OH
Im not sure if your intention is to be functional and want the air to flow smoothly from hood to roof of your car or if its just for looks. I think its a cool idea. I like the look of the hood you have. Check out the hood attached. Its called a 4 port extractor, for the camaro and trans ams. Its different and really makes a statement. I was going to put one on my 00 camaro before it was totalled. Not saying you should do that but its that different makes a bold statement. Id go for it.

Attachments

• IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 4,366

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
I not sure if I should taper the front of the cowl part of the hood like on the firebird. I don't really think it would look right since the cutlass is boxxy. I think I should do like clone says and make it almost the width of the hood between the 2 body lines, but that seems like it might almost be to squared off. Hell I aint sure, all I know is that I want something different and for it to look right and still have a lil class. Maybe I could do a sharp taper at the front towards the header and it still look ok. I need some more opinions on this potential hood. I may could even put some mini deflectors on the edge of the hood like on the hood below.

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 4,258
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 4,505
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 4,402

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Good new thread! I tend to agree that the Z-28 cowl hood is used way to often and indeed can look like an after thought.
IMO, people should be careful not to build a hood that overpowers the look of the rest of the car (in reality, no modification should overpower another). But, if you like the look you've come up with build it with pride!!

Doug

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I like the Cowl hoods, so long as they aren't oversized and obnoxious looking.........You oughta give goodmark a call and see if they have anything you might like...I bought a steel 2" cowl hood ( functional as well) for my '84 Monte and I can't wait to get it installed this spring........Damn, gonna be a looong winter :(

SumoBu

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2010
x2 on the goodmarks, I have a 2" cowl on my bu and it fits great. That blue 3rd gen camaro is bad *ss too.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
I will probably go ahead and go for it in the early spring, that should give me ample time to play with the design a lil more. I will probably do like clone said for the sides, I will make em at a wide angle, otherwise it would look like a afterthought to say the least. Hell I'm even toying with the idea of making it a forward tilt deflector. I bet that would make a statement, maybe not a good one though.lol :) I just need to get the design on paper and a template.

Attachments

• 37.JPG
    37.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 4,130

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Building your own hood is a great idea. Why have one just like everyone else's. If you do a search on here, I did a post a while back with pointers for how I did mine. Good luck. It's not really that hard and worth the work.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
This isn't much more than a cowl hood but it's an idea I've been working on in my head for a while. Decided to throw it into the computer to see how it would look.

Essentially I would modify the stock Cutlass hood from the body lines by raising it 1" or so in the center then doing another 2.5" raised cowl hood in the very center. Similar to some of the Mustang hoods out there.

I think it would help keep the lines of the G-body without making it look like something was just stuck on.

20110206184832_29s.jpg

Still needs some work but that's the direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor