The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
Get the GBodyForum e-mail newsletter!, Contests, Events, Deals, Forum News and More!
It appears you're not logged in! Not a member? Registration's FREE and only takes a minute!
Register now or Log in to hide this ad block.
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

windshield wiper problem

Tech articles etc. for Electrical and Interior issues.
rusty
Apprentice

windshield wiper problem

Postby rusty on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Hey guys could use some help. Have a 1978 elky, took out the wiper motor to clean up and repaint. Put it back in now the only way the blades move is when I push the washer button. They will not move either in low or high speed at all. Tried reversing the 2 wire(white and pink) plug, but nothing. Anybody have an idea what happened. Thanks
1978 El Camino 427
1987 Buick GN
2005 Magnum hemi
1985 Caddy Eldo

Longroof79
Royal Smart Person

Re: windshield wiper problem

Postby Longroof79 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 pm

If that's all you did and you're now having trouble. I would clean all the connections and make sure the motor is grounded. You'll see a metal ground strap on the motor that bolts thru one of the mounting bolts. Make sure where that particular bolt goes thru the strap and mount bushing that the bolt is in contact with clean metal. You can use a meter and check for continuity.

Have you had the motor apart? Pump cover off, etc?
Jack
'79 Malibu wagon, mild 355 sbc, TH350 trans, 8.5 GN rear
Future upgrades: built 200-4R trans and 3.42 gears

rusty
Apprentice

Postby rusty on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:26 pm

No, Have'nt had the motor apart at all. Is it possible i had the 2 wire plug in wrong the first time and burned something? That was my first thought, because the plug could go in either way, and don't really remember which way it went. I took it out and reversed it, but it still will not work with the switch.
1978 El Camino 427
1987 Buick GN
2005 Magnum hemi
1985 Caddy Eldo

azmalibuwagon
G Body Guru

Postby azmalibuwagon on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 pm

I agree with Longroof - probably the ground strap. I hooked mine up wrong once, and even though it seemed to be hooked up ok, it didn't get ground. Had to take the bolt back off and put it on right.

Return to Electrical and Interior