Proper tire size & look for '87 Salon

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Nothing gives a better musclecar look then the 245/60s on those rims IMO. The 25.6" tall almost perfectly matches the factory original tire height of 25.5" so your speedometer and odometer stay correct. Yes you have to watch tire inflation pressure so that they wear nicely but thats not too tough. If you want a taller tire the 215/70 or 225/70 work but serve to make the already too tall gearing.worse ie making acceleration even slower.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
yeah, definetly true on the tall tire/gearing bit. it also may depend on what the purpose of the car will be; hot rod, show car, daily driver etc. theoretically wouldnt you get better mileage with the narrow tall tire? less rolling resistance? if youre trying to squeeze the balls off of the thing for DD mileage then that MAY be something to consider. doesnt handling also take a hit from a wide tire on a 6" rim?
...i'm not saying any of this to criticize opinions, just get the facts on it, these are all things i've heard and have affected my tire decisions

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
snotrocket71 said:
doesnt handling also take a hit from a wide tire on a 6" rim?

It's supposed to but if you look at it this way, your going from a 215/70 that has a section width that is 8.5" wide to a 245 which is 9.6" wide. In my experience the wider tire made up for any handling issue from the wider tire.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
FE3X CLONE said:
snotrocket71 said:
doesnt handling also take a hit from a wide tire on a 6" rim?

It's supposed to but if you look at it this way, your going from a 215/70 that has a section width that is 8.5" wide to a 245 which is 9.6" wide. In my experience the wider tire made up for any handling issue from the wider tire.
i cant argue that, it looks awesome so i'm sold on that point alone. if i was keeping my 14x6's i'd definetly have that combo, thankfully i got a steal on nice chrome 15x7 rallyes
mfpeters, you decide on what youre gonna run? i'm curious to see how it looks

mfpeters

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2011
Thanks again for all who responded. I'm going with the BFG's 215/70/14. Tires are on order. I'll post a pic after install for any future tire size reference/inquiries.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
glad to hear, cant wait to see the results!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor