12" B body rotors on front of G body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
How hard is it to install caprice 12" rotors on a G body? I know i will need caprice spindles and calipers but iv heard of using F body rotors but what year cars are these? Also how do you get the spindle to fit the ball joint or do you get the balljoint to fit the upper arm?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
just so you know you can use f-body spindles and put on corvette c5 brakes using the Kore3 kit. or for great handling you can go to the sc&c site and get the ATS AFX spindles which use the c5 brakes also. this way there are no suspension geometry issues, which i've heard the b-body spindles have. http://www.scandc.com/products.htm

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Sorry I don't know the details of doing the B-Body Swap, but a few guys here have so hopefully they will respond. If you don't get any help here, try talking to Rick at Baer Brakes or Mark at SC&C. Both are G-body guys. Obviously they are both in the business of selling kits, but I think they will give you honest advice on what you would need to do it yourself. As for F-Body, I think it might be the third gen 1LE brakes that you can swap, remember reading something like that. The suspension on the 2nd gen F-Body is pretty similiar to g-bodys as well, but I think those rotors are only 11 inch.

Make sure you research the B-Body spindle swap really well and get a lot of opinions. I tried to order the Baer B-Body Kit for my Monte, because I had read about how the B-Body spindles improved the geometry of the G-Body suspension. However Baer had discontinued selling the kit because of the complaints they had because of bump steer issues.

The way it was explained to me is the B-body set up will improve geometry and handling thru corners. However the Bump Steer when your heading down the highway makes driving the car somewhat uncomfortable. So you might want to explore you other options and like I said research as much as possible.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
The b-body swap is outdated and there are better solutions out there - they add weight and steering track is effected. There's the AFX spindle for those w/ deep pockets or 12" LS1 brakes on a modified g-body spindle, which is what I'm going with.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Another idea

Hi,

When I can find a set cheap enough... I plan to convert to 2000-2002 s-10 Blazer spindles, rotors, and dual piston calipers. I know alot of the s-10 suspension parts fit G-body's (I already run s-10 front springs), I've also been told on that it will work (but I do not remember where)

Has anyone ever tried this? How does it compare? I am looking for the most economical option (best bang per buck).

Thanks,

Stoopud

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Re: Another idea

Stoopud said:
Hi,

When I can find a set cheap enough... I plan to convert to 2000-2002 s-10 Blazer spindles, rotors, and dual piston calipers. I know alot of the s-10 suspension parts fit G-body's (I already run s-10 front springs), I've also been told on that it will work (but I do not remember where)

Has anyone ever tried this? How does it compare? I am looking for the most economical option (best bang per buck).

Thanks,

Stoopud

That's another option, just make sure they are off a low mileage vehicle. When the bearing packs go out they are $200 a side.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
you need to get a set of gm tall spindels which came on damn near everything in the 70s and then get a set on f body 1LE front rotors, they are 12" and they have a 5 on 4.75 lug pattern like a g body. i have a set of the rotors that are bew and slotted and drilled, i bought them for a 12" ls1 conversion and they would not fit on a g body spindel so i just got a set of the s10 dual piston selead hub spindles. i will sell my 1LE rotors if you want them, they are new in box and i will sell for 80 plus shipping if you want them. you also need new upper control arms for the tall spindels if you go this route.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i have a set of f-body tall spindles. used but in rather nice shape. they're off a 75 camaro. $45.00 plus shipping and they're yours. i'd go to sc&c for the fully adjustable upper arms. they have the best price by far and it's a very high quality part. this will also allow you to set the alignment correctly (which is NOT stock!!)

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
well last summer i modified my stock g-body spindles, cut down my stock rotor to make it a hub and installed 13" corvette C5 rotors, pads and calipers. i would never consider doing the B-body upgrade "if you call it an upgrade"? this is a great and more economical upgrade since you can get great stopping power and actually go to autozone and get break parts over the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor