Trying to install camaro interior in 87 monte ss ttop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossman317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2010
Plainfield Indiana
I have a 1987 Monte super sport with the t-tops...too excited about it to explain with words lol
It has a g in the vin, but it has a coumn shifter and the 3/4 seats? I have a feeling the interior was redone, but who knows, it all matches so whatever lol.

I am planning on taking out the 3/4 seats and installing the front and back seats from a 92 camaro 25th anniversary.
I was wondering if I could get the entire dash and console from it and install it in the monte? I assume there will be at least some minor retrofitting, but it seems that it would be a relatively good fit? My dad was telling me to put a camaro guage cluster in though, I will have to find a way to get the speedo cable to work because the th350 in my monte has a cable and the 700r4 in the camaro has an electronic speed sensor or somthing?

Anyway, in an ideal world, I would be able to put the dash and console and floor shifter from the camaro in the monte and basically have monte on the outside and camaro on the inside...but I want to get a little more info before I get myself in too deep! haha hopefully I'm not the only one that has tried this or wants to try this. Not much info on it on the net, that's for sure.

thanks in advance

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
I say visit your local junkyard and find a 82-92 camaro and take some measurements of how wide and how long that camaro dash is then compare notes of the measurements on the monte dash.I think the camaro dash is a bit wider then the monte.I'm pretty curious to see how this swap would look once its all installed.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Some SS's did come factory with the split bench and column shift. I think I have seen someone with Fbody seats in a gbody but I cant remember where and if they were 80s or 90s camaro seats. I think the dash would require a lot more work than its worth and IMO the Monte dash looks better than the camaros.

Ohlly88SS

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2011
the third gen camaro seats are very close, if not the same as the monte seats, I think only the floor brackets are different. if you can get a console from a 73-81 camaro it will fit the monte dash like it was ment for it, you just have to dich the ashtray. changing all the interior will be a lot of work & if I were to do it I think for all the work Id go with alot mor modern doner car. good luck

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Bossman317 said:
I have a 1987 Monte super sport with the t-tops...too excited about it to explain with words lol
It has a g in the vin, but it has a coumn shifter and the 3/4 seats? I have a feeling the interior was redone, but who knows, it all matches so whatever lol.

I am planning on taking out the 3/4 seats and installing the front and back seats from a 92 camaro 25th anniversary.
I was wondering if I could get the entire dash and console from it and install it in the monte? I assume there will be at least some minor retrofitting, but it seems that it would be a relatively good fit? My dad was telling me to put a camaro guage cluster in though, I will have to find a way to get the speedo cable to work because the th350 in my monte has a cable and the 700r4 in the camaro has an electronic speed sensor or somthing?

Anyway, in an ideal world, I would be able to put the dash and console and floor shifter from the camaro in the monte and basically have monte on the outside and camaro on the inside...but I want to get a little more info before I get myself in too deep! haha hopefully I'm not the only one that has tried this or wants to try this. Not much info on it on the net, that's for sure.

thanks in advance

My '87 Monte Carlo SS has a column shifter as well. Mine has factory bucket seats and a center console, but I do know that some of them came w/bench seats and a column shifter. Why switch to the Camaro dash though? The MC SS guage cluster should have everything you need; or swap to the Gran Prix dash which may be easier than the Camaro dash swap.

-83MONTESS- said:
Some SS's did come factory with the split bench and column shift. I think I have seen someone with Fbody seats in a gbody but I cant remember where and if they were 80s or 90s camaro seats. I think the dash would require a lot more work than its worth and IMO the Monte dash looks better than the camaros.

I have 3rd gen Camaro bucket seats in my '83 Cutlass. My Cutlass came w/the 60/40 split bench, and all I did was swap the bench seat tracks onto the bucket seats and bolt 'em in.

Bossman317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2010
Plainfield Indiana
Hey guys, sorry for the long wait for a reply. I'm a boilermaker/refractory engineer...it requires months away from home lol. But I DID get the interior I wanted, I ended up getting almost the entire setup from the dash and guages all the way to the console and seats for about 100 bucks...which I thought was really cheap for everything I got. I plan on doing the seats and the shifter first, that way I can get a better look on if the dash will fit in there without me pulling out my luscious locks of hair haha.
I have to fix the radiator problem first, The car started slowly overheating yesterday and I can't figure out what the problem is, let alone where the f**ckin radiator drain plug is.... But the temp slowly climbed up to above 260 and I dont think there is barely any coolent flowing through the top hose, plus I started to lose compression after I got passed 240 degrees. But if I let it cool down, I can start it right back up and it will burn tires all over again....confusing for a medium level wrenchman like myself.
I'm hoping its just a thermostat, but there was white smoke coming from the top of the seal where the right side headers meet the motor...Im really hoping I dont have a blown head gasket, that would really put a damper on my plans for this bad boy.
I will make sure to post pictures and do a rather detailed log of the swap so everyone on here can see what it entailed. I'm thinking it wont be terribly bad, but I do realize there is some serious modding going on.

BTW, the only reason I want the camaro interior is that it is my favorite interior of the older cars. I Love that position the camaro sits you in. I think having the army green monte ss with all black and grey camaro intrior is really going to be something original and cool!

Thanks for the replys, heres some pics of the new rattle can paint job haha I used rustoleum satin green and some brushed bronze/black paint for the rims and the black parts, I like the poor man's hot rod look. Plus if something ever happens to the body, I can just slap on the new part and spray it in the parking lot and it'll be good as new![urlhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1542589544516&set=a.1532305287416.60829.1828295936&type=1&theater][/url]

Im not sure how to post pics, so heres my facebook picture after it was almost complete

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 3rd gen GTA seats in my GP. The seat tracks from the GP line up with the seats and the only difference is the seat is it bit sits further forward than the GP bucket in the car

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
I thought of this once because I didn't have the guts to try...now I'm thinking what if all GM's midsize dash's fit....

carfreak07

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2010
Brooksville, ky
I installed a dash and such from a 2002 camaro....it was a huge task so be prepared!!! I had the most trouble with the vents and ducts! Look back through my previous post and you can see the build thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor