12" B body rotors on front of G body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Can you give me the information on your swap?? prices and sources... i have looked into this a whole bunch in the past and was going to to a ls1 f body swap but would rather go for the 13" rotors. thanks

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
rockstar
I did the conversion ....had a 9C1 caprice that i took the spindles and calipers ,put them on my 84 cutlass ,
the rotors are from an 87 camaro 1LE option (12") with 4.75" wheel pattern .
only drawback is you need some upper arm offset shafts from moog to bring back the camber to specs

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
bigdan said:
rockstar
I did the conversion ....had a 9C1 caprice that i took the spindles and calipers ,put them on my 84 cutlass ,
the rotors are from an 87 camaro 1LE option (12") with 4.75" wheel pattern .
only drawback is you need some upper arm offset shafts from moog to bring back the camber to specs

Can you be more specific? Where did you buy them and do you have any part numbers? I would like to do this but nobody knows what I'm talking about when I ask for these...

Thanks!

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
78MC-BBC said:
well last summer i modified my stock g-body spindles, cut down my stock rotor to make it a hub and installed 13" corvette C5 rotors, pads and calipers. i would never consider doing the B-body upgrade "if you call it an upgrade"? this is a great and more economical upgrade since you can get great stopping power and actually go to autozone and get break parts over the counter.

Do you have pics of what it was that you did to modify the staock parts?

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
KrisW ,
just cant find the damn p/n for now ....but under any G body in moog replacement parts they list as upper offset arm shaft ....

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
As already mentioned, I went the route of using the g-body spindles made to fit an LS1 setup. Here's the link:

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3764

I've read too many drawbacks about bumpsteer issues for the b-body swap, not to mention it adds alot of weight and affects the steering track, plus you have to sink more $ into getting tubular uppers.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
Tony,

you dont need tubular upper arms to convert with B body spindles
just the moog's offset upper arm shafts ...much cheaper!
moog p/n: K6218

I think it all depends on disponibility .... I had a complete caprice 9C1 cop car that I took the LT1 to put in my G body ....so may as well use the front brakes also , they are 12" ....( no cost)_
if someone starts from scratch there is many options ..... b body ,f body etc...all have there + /-

but please dont diminish one aspect in favor of the one you decide to use

they are all a great improvment over the regular 10.5" front rotors .

as far as the added weight : 3.25 pounds per side is not that critical to me
and the added length of the b body spindle gives more suspension movement and less camber change ....
bumpsteer is only caused if camber/caster are not adjusted properly
( I know i drive a jeep on 39" tires without any issues)

as far as $$$ involved it cost near nothing to get b body spindles ( if you are willing to remove them yourself) and those front wheels bearings are much cheaper then those sealed units ...

the main point is: as long as we are happy with our setup ;-)
have a good day !
Dan

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
definitely should give a good improvement on the regular material ....

slotted rotors + superior pads + better calipers= better brakes

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor