THM200 Metric transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Re: THM200 Metric transmission (Bad rap?)

bob_t442 said:
after hearing the horror stories about metric transmissions in everything from Chevettes to Ninety-Eights, but mine have yet to fail me.

I actually prefer a 200-4R in a g-body compared to other OD transmissions. It just becomes a matter of the power level it can handle. I recall reading that the 200-4R was developed from the TH200 in an attempt to retain a light weight trans with OD.

On the other hand, I've changed TH200's in several cars when they decided to give. The 200-4R in my previously owned '85 SS decided it didn't want to shift to 2nd gear anymore. My '87 Aero blew the front pump seal and had a faulty TCC solenoid. I've also replaced a few 200-4R's in Cutlasses in the past.

You must be having one hell of a stroke of luck! I think people generally ditch the 200 because it can be replaced with a TH350 so easily.

And for the OP, if your expenses look like they're going to get out of hand to repair the TH200, you might really want to consider a trans change. I see good Th350's all day for less than $125. Just something to keep in mind while you're sorting out the issues.

MontyCarlo85262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2011
Was at the trans shop today. Got my car looked at. Well the tv cable was out of adjustment. Emproved the shifting alot!! also he thinks the tcc is going bad and will need replaced, but other then that it looks good. So I'll be taking it in to be replaced in about 3wks. While he has the trans out he will go over it to make sure everything is good. Also he told me the miss I have is a vibration He thinks it could be the clutch fan or harmonic balancer.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
MontyCarlo85262 said:
Was at the trans shop today. Got my car looked at. Well the tv cable was out of adjustment. Emproved the shifting alot!! also he thinks the tcc is going bad and will need replaced, but other then that it looks good. So I'll be taking it in to be replaced in about 3wks. While he has the trans out he will go over it to make sure everything is good. Also he told me the miss I have is a vibration He thinks it could be the clutch fan or harmonic balancer.
They're taken out the trans to install a new TCC? Didnt think that was necessary.....anyway...glad you got some good answers and a good shop that will take care of it for ya.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
iirc on the 200 it is normal to remove the trans, on the 200-4r it's not necessary

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
megaladon6 said:
iirc on the 200 it is normal to remove the trans, on the 200-4r it's not necessary
Im not claiming to be a transmission guy but why can you drop the pan on a 200-4r and change the tcc and on a 200 you pull the whole transmission, is the tcc solenoid not in the valve body also :?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
hey, i didn't design them! GM did what GM did.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
G-Body_Vet said:
The 200 was designed to be dropped.....right off a cliff :rofl:
lol....thats a fact

MontyCarlo85262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2011
Yes, They have to take it out because the tcc is in the pump on a 200 metric. Also I discovered my vibration today its from a bad motor mount on the passanger side. So I'll be busy replacing those this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor