The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero

Trying to install camaro interior in 87 monte ss ttop

Bossman317
n00b

Trying to install camaro interior in 87 monte ss ttop

Postby Bossman317 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 pm

I have a 1987 Monte super sport with the t-tops...too excited about it to explain with words lol
It has a g in the vin, but it has a coumn shifter and the 3/4 seats? I have a feeling the interior was redone, but who knows, it all matches so whatever lol.

I am planning on taking out the 3/4 seats and installing the front and back seats from a 92 camaro 25th anniversary.
I was wondering if I could get the entire dash and console from it and install it in the monte? I assume there will be at least some minor retrofitting, but it seems that it would be a relatively good fit? My dad was telling me to put a camaro guage cluster in though, I will have to find a way to get the speedo cable to work because the th350 in my monte has a cable and the 700r4 in the camaro has an electronic speed sensor or somthing?

Anyway, in an ideal world, I would be able to put the dash and console and floor shifter from the camaro in the monte and basically have monte on the outside and camaro on the inside...but I want to get a little more info before I get myself in too deep! haha hopefully I'm not the only one that has tried this or wants to try this. Not much info on it on the net, that's for sure.

thanks in advance

Mikes83ss
G Body Guru

Re: Trying to install camaro interior in 87 monte ss ttop

Postby Mikes83ss on Sun May 01, 2011 5:46 am

I say visit your local junkyard and find a 82-92 camaro and take some measurements of how wide and how long that camaro dash is then compare notes of the measurements on the monte dash.I think the camaro dash is a bit wider then the monte.I'm pretty curious to see how this swap would look once its all installed.
Ok everyone please calm down I know exactly which wire to cut.Does anyone have a quarter?

-83MONTESS-
Royal Smart Person

Postby -83MONTESS- on Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Some SS's did come factory with the split bench and column shift. I think I have seen someone with Fbody seats in a gbody but I cant remember where and if they were 80s or 90s camaro seats. I think the dash would require a lot more work than its worth and IMO the Monte dash looks better than the camaros.
1983 Monte Carlo SS - 6.6L 400 SBC, TH400, 3:73

Ohlly88SS
Greasemonkey

Postby Ohlly88SS on Sun May 01, 2011 6:41 pm

the third gen camaro seats are very close, if not the same as the monte seats, I think only the floor brackets are different. if you can get a console from a 73-81 camaro it will fit the monte dash like it was ment for it, you just have to dich the ashtray. changing all the interior will be a lot of work & if I were to do it I think for all the work Id go with alot mor modern doner car. good luck
Anything after '88 is a Lumina

andrewmp6
Royal Smart Person

Postby andrewmp6 on Wed May 11, 2011 5:01 am

Qdub24
Royal Smart Person

Postby Qdub24 on Wed May 11, 2011 5:44 am

Bossman317 wrote:I have a 1987 Monte super sport with the t-tops...too excited about it to explain with words lol
It has a g in the vin, but it has a coumn shifter and the 3/4 seats? I have a feeling the interior was redone, but who knows, it all matches so whatever lol.

I am planning on taking out the 3/4 seats and installing the front and back seats from a 92 camaro 25th anniversary.
I was wondering if I could get the entire dash and console from it and install it in the monte? I assume there will be at least some minor retrofitting, but it seems that it would be a relatively good fit? My dad was telling me to put a camaro guage cluster in though, I will have to find a way to get the speedo cable to work because the th350 in my monte has a cable and the 700r4 in the camaro has an electronic speed sensor or somthing?

Anyway, in an ideal world, I would be able to put the dash and console and floor shifter from the camaro in the monte and basically have monte on the outside and camaro on the inside...but I want to get a little more info before I get myself in too deep! haha hopefully I'm not the only one that has tried this or wants to try this. Not much info on it on the net, that's for sure.

thanks in advance

My '87 Monte Carlo SS has a column shifter as well. Mine has factory bucket seats and a center console, but I do know that some of them came w/bench seats and a column shifter. Why switch to the Camaro dash though? The MC SS guage cluster should have everything you need; or swap to the Gran Prix dash which may be easier than the Camaro dash swap.

-83MONTESS- wrote:Some SS's did come factory with the split bench and column shift. I think I have seen someone with Fbody seats in a gbody but I cant remember where and if they were 80s or 90s camaro seats. I think the dash would require a lot more work than its worth and IMO the Monte dash looks better than the camaros.

I have 3rd gen Camaro bucket seats in my '83 Cutlass. My Cutlass came w/the 60/40 split bench, and all I did was swap the bench seat tracks onto the bucket seats and bolt 'em in.
'83 Cutlass in rehab

Bossman317
n00b

Postby Bossman317 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait for a reply. I'm a boilermaker/refractory engineer...it requires months away from home lol. But I DID get the interior I wanted, I ended up getting almost the entire setup from the dash and guages all the way to the console and seats for about 100 bucks...which I thought was really cheap for everything I got. I plan on doing the seats and the shifter first, that way I can get a better look on if the dash will fit in there without me pulling out my luscious locks of hair haha.
I have to fix the radiator problem first, The car started slowly overheating yesterday and I can't figure out what the problem is, let alone where the f**ckin radiator drain plug is.... But the temp slowly climbed up to above 260 and I dont think there is barely any coolent flowing through the top hose, plus I started to lose compression after I got passed 240 degrees. But if I let it cool down, I can start it right back up and it will burn tires all over again....confusing for a medium level wrenchman like myself.
I'm hoping its just a thermostat, but there was white smoke coming from the top of the seal where the right side headers meet the motor...Im really hoping I dont have a blown head gasket, that would really put a damper on my plans for this bad boy.
I will make sure to post pictures and do a rather detailed log of the swap so everyone on here can see what it entailed. I'm thinking it wont be terribly bad, but I do realize there is some serious modding going on.

BTW, the only reason I want the camaro interior is that it is my favorite interior of the older cars. I Love that position the camaro sits you in. I think having the army green monte ss with all black and grey camaro intrior is really going to be something original and cool!

Thanks for the replys, heres some pics of the new rattle can paint job haha I used rustoleum satin green and some brushed bronze/black paint for the rims and the black parts, I like the poor man's hot rod look. Plus if something ever happens to the body, I can just slap on the new part and spray it in the parking lot and it'll be good as new![urlhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1542589544516&set=a.1532305287416.60829.1828295936&type=1&theater][/url]

Im not sure how to post pics, so heres my facebook picture after it was almost complete

pontiacgp
Royal Smart Person

Postby pontiacgp on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

I have 3rd gen GTA seats in my GP. The seat tracks from the GP line up with the seats and the only difference is the seat is it bit sits further forward than the GP bucket in the car

madmaxstyle
G Body Guru

Postby madmaxstyle on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:14 pm

I thought of this once because I didn't have the guts to try...now I'm thinking what if all GM's midsize dash's fit....
1982 GMC Caballero
Rochester 4 bbl Quadrajet
350/700r4
Oldsmobile rims
Burn rubber, not your soul

carfreak07
Apprentice

Postby carfreak07 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:38 pm

I installed a dash and such from a 2002 camaro....it was a huge task so be prepared!!! I had the most trouble with the vents and ducts! Look back through my previous post and you can see the build thread!
1987 Monte carlo LS with LS1 and 6spd Camaro Dash and complete Features! SEE THREAD http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 5835905461
2000 Camaro SS Cam, Boltons 6spd 11.79@116 Daily
2000 Z28 Cam Only 350 turbo 4k stall 11.12@120
2000 Silverado LS1, Cam, Boltons 12.61@105 Daily
2000 Trans Am WS6 with bolt ons 13.20@107 WIFE's
1968 Camaro SBC 406 No times
1972 Chevrolet C-10 RCSB 2wd NEXT PROJECT

J3
Master Mechanic

Postby J3 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:28 am

carfreak07 wrote:I installed a dash and such from a 2002 camaro....it was a huge task so be prepared!!! I had the most trouble with the vents and ducts! Look back through my previous post and you can see the build thread!

I was just about to try and find your build thread to post... 8)

Anyway here it is: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1362971-1987-monte-carlo-luxury-sport-ls1-6spd-camaro-dash-features.html
2005 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven/Shale
89,000 miles - Daily Driver, 345hp 6.0L LQ9, Bose Navigation/Stereo, Sunroof, Chrome 24" Boss 313s, 305/35R24 Nexen Roadian HP Tires, Sonar Projector Headlights, Optima RedTop, SRP Racing Aluminum Pedals
Waiting to be installed: Sony XS-LE121D Dual Ported 12" Sub Box, Sony XM-GS100 Mono Amplifier

1979 Monte Carlo Landau Black/Carmine Red
76,000 miles, Refreshed Engine, too much else to list...
Waiting to be installed: Flowmaster Stainless Super 40s, Flowmaster Stainless Tips, OPGI 3" Lowering Springs, Billet Specialties Vintec Steering Wheel, SRP Racing Aluminum Pedals, New Trunk Lock Emblem, All New A/C Components, Inner Fender Braces

ImageImage

Dave V
Royal Smart Person

Postby Dave V on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 am

i know its been done in an el camino lauren engineering did it with a gta setup and it looks bad ass..
Dave V.
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
84 El Camino Custom
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3140012/1 ... -el-camino

dlo253
Royal Smart Person

Postby dlo253 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:47 pm

carfreak07 wrote:I installed a dash and such from a 2002 camaro....it was a huge task so be prepared!!! I had the most trouble with the vents and ducts! Look back through my previous post and you can see the build thread!

You should make it easier and post a link in your sig.. 8)
President- ''D''
G-Body Nation C.C. Tacoma, WA Chapter
facebook.com/gbodynationtacoma
gbodynationtacoma@hotmail.com. E-Mail for membership info.
84 Cutlass Supreme- 350 sbc-The Daily My Build Thread

carfreak07
Apprentice

Postby carfreak07 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:37 pm

dlo253 wrote:

You should make it easier and post a link in your sig.. 8)

Done! lol it wouldnt let me before!
1987 Monte carlo LS with LS1 and 6spd Camaro Dash and complete Features! SEE THREAD http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 5835905461
2000 Camaro SS Cam, Boltons 6spd 11.79@116 Daily
2000 Z28 Cam Only 350 turbo 4k stall 11.12@120
2000 Silverado LS1, Cam, Boltons 12.61@105 Daily
2000 Trans Am WS6 with bolt ons 13.20@107 WIFE's
1968 Camaro SBC 406 No times
1972 Chevrolet C-10 RCSB 2wd NEXT PROJECT

Return to Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu