Drop spindles -- Any warnings or advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I recently picked up a set of vintage Appliance Wiremags and I'm in the process of polishing them and selecting tires. I was planning to adjust my ride height once I get them on. Preliminary measurements indicate that I'll be looking at about a 2" drop. Since there are soooo many spring options out there, I thought I would simplify my life and just go with some drop spindles. So, here's my questions for all you guys who have gone this route;
Are there any manufacturers to avoid? Any issues to be aware of? Any real bargains I should check out? Did you regret using spindles instead of springs?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
g-body spindles already have absolutely shitty geometry. drop spindles just make things work. now if this is a show car or something like that (ie won't ever be driven for handling) you're ok.
if you want handling, the best thing is the s-10 blazer spindles with dual piston calipers, and SC&C's stage 2 kit, with eibach or SPC springs. the spindles do nothing for handling, but they do use hub bearings and much better brakes.
FYI, b-body and f-body spindles slightly improve handling, but it's not worth it. the SC&C setup is much better without the compromises

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I picked up a set of brand new s10 drop spindles off ebay for $120 and used 5660 moog springs and I have absolutely no complaints. This gives my car excellent handling and strong resistance to body roll. It's not a hard ride, but also not too soft, if that makes sense.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Did you cut those springs pat?

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
I do not understand why everyone says drop spindles make the steering geometry worse, they only change the centerline of the spindle. A dropped spindle does not affect ride quality and does not affect the alignment. Please explain how it affects these items. I have had a set of drop spindles on my blazer for almost ten years without having it aligned after install, without any abnormal wear on my tires. My tires have almost 50,000 miles and probably still at least 8/32's left of tread. Either my vehicle defies logic or they do not affect the vehicle like everyone thinks. I would recommend drop spindles over springs for ride quality. Just my opinion. I have ground force spindles on my blazer not a single problem in ten years.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Nope I did not cut the coils. I tried cutting the coils a few years ago and kept the stock spindles. That screwed up the geometry big time. Drop spindles without cutting the 5660 coils is the way to go.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My car has stock springs and certainly won't be raced. The ride quality is fine but most importantly - I know the ride height and the feel of the ride. All that would be affected by the spindles would be the ride height. The geometry is probably as good as it will be. It seems that springs for these cars can be somewhat of a wild card along with affecting the geometry. I figure spindles are more of a sure bet. While searching around I've found prices from $120 - $500. Is there any difference that I'll notice on a driver?

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i want to know if the people say that either the springs or the spindles screwed up the geometry had a alignment done or not, without that either one will be screwed up

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have camaro spindles with the 5660 coils with 1/2 coil cut off, lower lower ball joints and a 36 mm bar and car rotates the corners exceptionally well. With my set up the tie rods are parallel to the ground and my uppers are high enough over the horizontal plane. Drop spindles give you a lowered look with none of the advantages of lowering the car to improve the geometry and roll centre.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
pontiacgp, around how much do you think your setup lowers your ride height? Not an exact figure but a good guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor