193 heads on a Carbureted Chevy 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coriolanus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2011
Anyone ever use 193 heads on a carbureted Chevy 350? I'm hearing the flow of the 193 heads is poor and they should not be taken over 5000 rpm.

13bravo

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2011
Hudson, NY
I don't remember, are these the Swirl Port Heads? If so they are a bottom end truck head, and I've seen many of them cracked, unless they are the heavy duty truck head with the 3/8 exhaust valves and hardened exhaust seats installed from the factory. Those were less likely to crack but flow even less due to the 3/8 exhaust valves.

If your just looking to build a low end daily driver they should work fine.

Coriolanus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2011
I'm not looking to race or anything like that. I would like to build a car for going to work and cruising. My engine has an 880 casting block number and the 193 heads. With the quadrajet, I should get good fuel economy.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
if all you want is reliabilty and economy its alright keep the 193 ...

Coriolanus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2011
Thanks, I will. I would hate to have to remove the 191 heads on the other block. I hear they crack when removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor