Big Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUNUPIFUDARE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2008
San Francisco
Does anyone know the part number for the howes tall ball joints upper and lowers so that I can use 12 inch brakes without using a b-body spindle or ATS spindle?

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
not sure on he ball joint part number, but you dont need the ATS or B body spindle for big breaks. I got 13" C5 vetter brakes on my modified stock g-body spindle and its not a baer kit either

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you can also use mid 70's f-body tall spindle which only require cutting off the slides to use the KORE3 kit. they also give you slightly better goemetry.

RUNUPIFUDARE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2008
San Francisco
Does anyone know what clearance problems you run into when trying to fit big brakes? :?:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, you will need to run something larger than a 14 in wheel. If doing the GM 12 in brakes from a B body, you can use a 15 in wheel at minimum. You also may run into a problem with master cylinder sizing. I am doing the tall spindle swap one of these days, but haven't yet, so I can't speak from experience.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
you have to remember all of the tall spindles you have to get different upper control arms to offset the difference in heights or elses it wont work right and the tall spindles all increase your bumpsteer. the bumpsteer increase is a big reason i never did the B or F body spindle swap

RUNUPIFUDARE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2008
San Francisco
Fitting the wheels aren't an issue with 12" brakes for my setup, also I have aftermarket control arms with off setting shafts, but are there any clearance probels with the brake rotors hitting anything?

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
megaladon6 said:
you can also use mid 70's f-body tall spindle which only require cutting off the slides to use the KORE3 kit. they also give you slightly better goemetry.

I plan on up-grading the front brakes on my 80' Cutlass after installing the Buick GN posi rear with Caddy rear discs. Many companys MFG. tubular "A" arms now but the ones for the STD. "B" body tall spindle coversion are still very pricey.
I read where you can use off-set cross bars and reverse the off-set to allow for proper alignment. Has anyone tried this?
I'd like to know more about this "F" body spindle conversion and what a KORE3 kit is?
My other consideration is using brakes off an early 90's S-10 platform SUV. Certain 2wd models came with killer dual piston calibers on spindles that are a "G" body bolt on (not tall).

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
you can get a set of circle track upper control arms for use with the b-body spindles for around $100 per pair. Honestly i would go with the s-10 setup with the dual piston calipers over the b-body swap. I dont like the idea of messing up the bumpsteer more than stock which is what happens with the b-body swap. Alot of people including myself are using the stock 79-88 g-body spindle modified for the C5 corvette 13" rotors wtih C5 dual piston calipers, but you have to go to 17" wheels minimum. the Kore kit is another brand of C5 corvette or LS1 Camaro brake kit, Kore is a company where you can get parts for the brake swap kits.

The B-body brake swap is old school technology, and is as dated as the parts they came from 70's and 80's cars, impala spindles and cast iron calipers, with 12" camaro rotors and bearings.

The C5 and LS1 brake swap is the new technology, new school method. You use stock G-body spindles and bearings, stock g-body rotor machined down into a hub, with stock 13" corvette (17" wheels minimum) or 12" camaro (15" wheels may fit) rotors and PBR calipers, both dual piston and aluminum

An a fyi you can also swap the rear drum brakes to the new school LS1 camaro 12" rotors with aluminum PBR calipers with intergrated parking breaks.

The Cadillar rear disc swap is old school, is prone to having e-brake probelms and is getting expensive to replace calipers.

skullmaster427

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2008
what's up guys, new here, good information here cant stop reading :D , question 78MC-BBC i'm working on a 84 el camino, can you use 2wd s10 spindle (hub style) to modified to c5/13" ? isntead of my stock spindle?

THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor