82 Malibu wagon with caddy 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrofenix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I just picked up a Malibu wagon with a big block Cadillac 500 already swapped in. The front suspension is a little low (don't think the previous owner did anything to the suspension when dropping in the extra weight).

I don't want it to sit real low or anything but not at stock height and I'm not sure what I should get for the front suspension - 550# springs? More? :?: I'd welcome all suggestions!

I'll post pics tomorrow.

green79gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene,Ore
pyrofenix said:
I just picked up a Malibu wagon with a big block Cadillac 500 already swapped in. The front suspension is a little low (don't think the previous owner did anything to the suspension when dropping in the extra weight).

I don't want it to sit real low or anything but not at stock height and I'm not sure what I should get for the front suspension - 550# springs? More? :?: I'd welcome all suggestions!

I'll post pics tomorrow.
would love to see it

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'd also love to see this wagon. I knew of one other 500 cu.in. Caddy powered Malibu wagon. It was painted a flat rootbeer color with black painted wheels. It was very sinister looking. I think the guys name was Chris...I can't recall.
But the last I heard, this car was for sale.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice score, man! I like it. It must be a blast to drive. Thanks for posting up pics.
What plans do have for it?
You might also want to consider a fan shroud or electric fans. Also, as far as front springs. MOOG #5660 S-10 springs might work nicely with a heavier Caddy motor.

pyrofenix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It had several small radiator leaks so I have already purchased a new aluminum radiator and will be going with a pair of electric fans to help keep it cool.

Other than the going through the front suspension, it's just got a bunch of small things that need to be done. Once I have those, i'll re-address my plans.

Gotta keep the plans small until after the girlfriend becomes a fiance/wife.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Cool car! A super-sleeper. When I put a Pontiac 400 in my 81' Malibu wagon the front end scraped the ground. I used 77' TA springs with 3/4 of a coil cut off. Without cutting, the nose pointed to the sky, like there was no motor at all. I cut a 1/4 coil at a time and watched how she sat. At 3/4 of a coil, it was about 2" taller than stock, and a VERY firm ride, yet compliant. A lot of work to do it incrementally, but worth it. As I always say, you can cut more off, but you can't add any on. And there is no formula for "this spring will give you that height" because every car/motor combination is different. Good luck with the car and the wife!

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
awesome.

pyrofenix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, I definitely want to keep the sleeper feel.

I really love having the big block under the stock hood. No cowl to give anything away. A stock looking fiberglass hood would be nice to shed some weight would be good too though! So many ways to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor