87 gp bottom door moulding removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbracing

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2010
i managed to get the plastic clips out of the grove on the moulding but the metal ones on the ends are giving me trouble. how do you remove it without bending the moulding lip

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Digging one up from the grave :mrgreen:

What is the process of removing this trim piece :?: Is there a special tool :?: Any screws that need to be removed from the inside of the door :?:

I've got the lower rocker panel trim and the piece right directly behind the door along with the wheel well trim all removed. I cannot figure out how this piece comes loose :oops:

chevy7dss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2011
KY.
Hi, To remove the lower outer chrome trim moldings, there are two metal round top headed nuts on the very front and rear of the inner door that holds the trim on at ends. I think they are 3/8 or 7/16 socket size to take the nuts off from the inside of door side. Once you get those two end nuts off, you can close the door and go to outside of door and take some WD40 and spray along the top side of the trim molding where it hardly shows the top edges of the plastic white clips sticking out from top of trim molding. Spray them alittle with the WD40 or the whole top edge of the trim molding to make sure you got the top of the plastic clips lubed. Then just grab the lower edge of the trim molding and lift upward on the trim molding alittle bit and the trim molding should pop loose from the top of the plastic trim clips under the molding. You might have to take a straight edge screw driver and pry just a little on the top of the trim molding to get it to turn loose of the clips while lifting upward. Once the trim molding comes loose from the top edge, just pull the molding from top edge outward easy and push downward off the bottom ofthe inner clips. Saves your clips to. Have removed alot of trim moldings from grand prixs and cutlass's doing it this was and saving the clips. And if you need some new front and rear chrome bumper trim strips for your 87 grand prix, i got them to. Just send me pm about them. Hope this helps you. Larry
RITTER said:
Digging one up from the grave :mrgreen:

What is the process of removing this trim piece :?: Is there a special tool :?: Any screws that need to be removed from the inside of the door :?:

I've got the lower rocker panel trim and the piece right directly behind the door along with the wheel well trim all removed. I cannot figure out how this piece comes loose :oops:

Reactions: 1 user

chevy7dss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2011
KY.
jbracing said:
i managed to get the plastic clips out of the grove on the moulding but the metal ones on the ends are giving me trouble. how do you remove it without bending the moulding lip
Hi, To get the two metal clips out of the back side of the moldings when you get the molding off car, slide each metal clip back toward the middle of the molding where the molding has two cuts in the back side of the molding inner lips where it lets the metal clips come right out of the molding. If they do not want to slide, spray some WD40 on them in between the inner back of molding and the metal clip. They will slide then. Hope this helps you. Larry :D

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
chevy7dss said:
Hi, To remove the lower outer chrome trim moldings, there are two metal round top headed nuts on the very front and rear of the inner door that holds the trim on at ends. I think they are 3/8 or 7/16 socket size to take the nuts off from the inside of door side.
So I will need to remove the inner door panel to remove a couple of screws :?:

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
RITTER said:
chevy7dss said:
Hi, To remove the lower outer chrome trim moldings, there are two metal round top headed nuts on the very front and rear of the inner door that holds the trim on at ends. I think they are 3/8 or 7/16 socket size to take the nuts off from the inside of door side.
So I will need to remove the inner door panel to remove a couple of screws :?:

On a grand Prix, no.

Remove the nut circled in the pic below. There is another nut on the hinge side of the door. There is nothing behind the door panel.

Once the nuts are off, the trim panel needs to be lifted up and pulled out.

28478381684346731692.jpg

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I am working on my Regal (from my signature) I wasn't the one that started the post. I just found it in the SEARCH options and thought I would bring it back to life to get more description about the topic. I guess I didn't realize the trim would have to be removed differently :oops: My door doesn't have a screw in that location :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor