Whats needed for Smog in a 1978/79 El Camino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

o ARC ATHEISTxX

Greasemonkey
May 1, 2011
Los Angeles
What exactly came on The El Camino for Smog. I really want to throw everything back but dont know what parts are needed. Some where i saw that A.I.R wasn't implemented in 79 but i dont know about it's validity.

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
your gonna need the stock manifolds with all the tubing and hoses, gonna need the air pump,cat coverter, gotta make sure ur using the ccc carb and that on ur intake you have your egr valve... its alot if your missing everythang... why are you tryin to make it smog legal?

o ARC ATHEISTxX

Greasemonkey
May 1, 2011
Los Angeles
The car came with a intake manifold that has the inlet for the EGR, I would just need to get it. I have Most of the EVAP System. I just recently crack ed my headers so i might try finding some with Air Tubes. Does the carb have to be a CCC, because i don't have a harness nor a computer for it. I saw

this http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/detai ... 80670.html

but i'm not sure if I can use it or not. I know its a lot of cfm but just the reasoning that its not a ccc. And to tell you the truth I'm tired of having to get off the gas or any little detail when i see CHP. Plus they are starting to be dicks out here by South LA and Gardena.I don't know if you heard but they raided a Memorial yesterday and made some people pop their hoods. I just want to get my car bard at the state ref and then rebuild my engine in January.

I'll email you in alittle bit Dave.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
o ARC ATHEISTxX said:
Plus they are starting to be dicks out here by South LA and Gardena.I don't know if you heard but they raided a Memorial yesterday and made some people pop their hoods. I just want to get my car bard at the state ref and then rebuild my engine in January.

Yeah, they are starting to crack down in LB too. The other day they had a Smog check point, just like the one's they have for drunk drivers.

chevy76monteman

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My '79 Cutlass is bone stock but not a Cali car and has a 305. It has no CCC or A.I.R. The only emissions items are EGR, a cat, and EVAP.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
DRIVEN said:
My '79 Cutlass is bone stock but not a Cali car and has a 305. It has no CCC or A.I.R. The only emissions items are EGR, a cat, and EVAP.
CCC wasn't started until 81 in the US, 85 or 86 in Canada. A.I.R was avalible around 70 or so on California models.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Lue said:
o ARC ATHEISTxX said:
Plus they are starting to be dicks out here by South LA and Gardena.I don't know if you heard but they raided a Memorial yesterday and made some people pop their hoods. I just want to get my car bard at the state ref and then rebuild my engine in January.

Yeah, they are starting to crack down in LB too. The other day they had a Smog check point, just like the one's they have for drunk drivers.

Where was that at so I know where not to drive?

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
looks like For 79 there is no A.I.R or CCC but you'll need either a two or 4 barrel quadrajet, but there is a smog pump, these are for 79 with 350's there are two california versions. I would go with the 2nd one, theres less crap and you can use a four barrel carb. BTW i got these from the autozone vaccum diagrams
0900c1528005166a-1.gif

0900c1528005166d.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor