PROJECT: Fade II Black - Salon GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm just wondering, did you remove the driveshaft before you towed it on the dolley?

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
If you are building a high performance driver leave that old three speed in the 70s. They were great just obsoleted by technology. Sell it and use the money to do a proper 200-4R. Well you asked for some constructive ideas. :mrgreen: Depending on the motor, power, and tire height 3.42 to 4.10 are usually ideal quarter mile gears. With the 200-4R you still get a 2.49 final drive ratio which is great for low rpm interstate cruising and mileage. Plus with a high stall lock up converter you bust off the line yet still have low transmission temps and save another 200+ rpms for best mileage. www.extremautomatics.com lonnie built two for me and I have had great luck with both including the one that went behind a 509ci big block with posi n large drag radials. Good thing it had the 8.5 rear. The 88 Salon GTs up here had a 3.08 gear, hard top, buckets, console, ralley guage pack, ralleys, and the "f41" spring & swaybar package. Oh yea and the vin Y 307 :roll: Guess it was better than the carberated 3.8.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
Good to see your work and progress! I am down the road -a- ways, in Newport.
I as well just recently bought our first house, and have the 2 garages to finally be able to work in....congratulations to you. I know how you feel. 8)

Keep us posted, and keep up the work!

I believe I remember that car on craigslist...

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
pontiacgp said:
I'm just wondering, did you remove the driveshaft before you towed it on the dolley?

Definately removed the driveshaft and inserted one of those plastic plugs so that no transmission fluid will not leak out.

dogshit said:
If you are building a high performance driver leave that old three speed in the 70s. They were great just obsoleted by technology. Sell it and use the money to do a proper 200-4R. Well you asked for some constructive ideas. :mrgreen: Depending on the motor, power, and tire height 3.42 to 4.10 are usually ideal quarter mile gears. With the 200-4R you still get a 2.49 final drive ratio which is great for low rpm interstate cruising and mileage. Plus with a high stall lock up converter you bust off the line yet still have low transmission temps and save another 200+ rpms for best mileage. <a href="http://www.extremautomatics.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk">http://www.extremautomatics.com</a> lonnie built two for me and I have had great luck with both including the one that went behind a 509ci big block with posi n large drag radials. Good thing it had the 8.5 rear. The 88 Salon GTs up here had a 3.08 gear, hard top, buckets, console, ralley guage pack, ralleys, and the "f41" spring & swaybar package. Oh yea and the vin Y 307 :roll: Guess it was better than the carberated 3.8.

This will be a high performance driver, maybe once or twice a year at local 1/8 mile track. The 350 turbo will NOT be used. I already have a T5 from a 1992 z28 with 92k miles on it. My car only has the 7.5 but I'm on the lookout fir an 8.5. Once I find one I will be installing a true-trac and a 4.10 gear. I think that gear will work since I will be running 18 or 20 inch rims. This car also has the F41 package so thats a plus. This car will also be lowered 2 inches all the way around.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
David Williamson said:
I have been following you on Youtube for a while now, i was just going to ask how your car was looking and what your getting into with it. Now I know Great job and everything is looking good, Good luck on everything. I will keep checking in i really want to see this done.

I'm ready to see this thing done too, but that is a long way off. However I do expect it to be an ugly driver by my birthday, which isn't until June.

LSCustoms said:
and congrats on the house

Thanks for the Congrats on the house, I had to take care of some credit stuff so it has been a long time coming but its been well worth the wait. I'll post a couple of pics later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor