Budget LS1 swaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I was sick of seeing first gen belly buttons 20 years ago. That said you don't need AFRs or 6,500 to make 400/400 with a 383. But I do love the ls series. The 5.3 makes a great motor in a light car and the 6.2 is great in the 1/2 ton pickup or transplanted in a G.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Hey Beeter, you cleaning up the engine or the car?

How much more time until she's going?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
dogshit said:
I was sick of seeing first gen belly buttons 20 years ago.

x2! That's what steered me towards the BOP stuff. I hate to admit it but LS engines are looking like the future of hot-rodding. On another note, my oldest son just got his learner's permit. I'm trying to get my kids into cars and I think a g-body with a 4.8 or 5.3 would be a good start.

I'm not knocking you guys with carb conversions, but one of the allures of the LS swap is fuel injection IMO. Cold weather start-up, drivability and decent mileage are a huge plus in my book. I had fun frying tires when I was younger and what-not, but now I want to be able to comfortably drive something across the country.

skatepirate77

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2010
hey 1984 monte carlo ss you can get a tci kit that will mount all older transmissions to ls engine. You can even get kits for t-5 and super t-10s to mount to ls engine.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
thanks skatepirate77 Im looking to do a 5.3 swap in my Monte, is there any clearance issues with the engine and the frame? I heard it was hard to swap a ps motor in because of clearance

skatepirate77

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2010
1984-monte-carlo-ss said:
thanks skatepirate77 Im looking to do a 5.3 swap in my Monte, is there any clearance issues with the engine and the frame? I heard it was hard to swap a ps motor in because of clearance

.Not a problem anytime. I to am planning a 5.3 swap with t-56 though. As far as I know you just have to swap to f-body accessories on it. I am still trying to figure out all the emissions stuff for utah. It doesn't matter what motor you have the car, you just have to run the emissions stuff that can on the car. Check out John B's ls7 he put in his monte ss http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/. Also here is the gbody swap thread on ls1tech.com Lots of good info here about ls swaps in our cars. http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-h ... hread.html

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
skatepirate77 said:
1984-monte-carlo-ss said:

.Not a problem anytime. I to am planning a 5.3 swap with t-56 though. As far as I know you just have to swap to f-body accessories on it. I am still trying to figure out all the emissions stuff for utah. It doesn't matter what motor you have the car, you just have to run the emissions stuff that can on the car. Check out John B's ls7 he put in his monte ss http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/. Also here is the gbody swap thread on ls1tech.com Lots of good info here about ls swaps in our cars. http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-h ... hread.html
wow i cant thank you enough lol i really appreciate it 8)

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you live in a strict smog area like I do, 5.3 swaps and carb LS swaps are out of the question since both are illegal in a G body under Fed law for the whole country, but it's only enforced in a few areas for now. 5.3s are truck engines and it is illegal to install a truck engine into a car or vise versa. Installing a carb on a LS disables the LS low emission systems, a big legal no no. While most areas may let you get away with these illegal setups for now, not every place will let you. So always check your local laws and the degree of enforcement in your area before buying anything. If I ever do an LSX swap, I would just get an E rod LS3 for ease of mind with any legal issues IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor