• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
85Supreme said:
Is my cowl hood considered one that doesnt keep the body lines? If so i disagree with that statement.
100_3949.jpg

I didn't say they don't keep or line up with the body lines but rather aesthetically don't flow with the rest of the car or its overall body shape.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
cowl hoods are good but i think if you put some thought into a design of your own you'd be happier with the end result. p.s. i love my gbody but that blue camaro is sick!

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
I have not found a hood that looks good on a Olds G body,I'm going with a rare alum hood and a ram air set up.There has not been a hood that flows well with the olds G body other than the stock hood.If I had to put a hood on that was not factory I would say a 1" cowl hood looks okay.

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
I posted this in another thread but here's my "scoop" I fabricated to clear some of my brake upgrade-I wanted a look that was custom but still looked factory. It also keeps with the natural curvy body lines of the 3rd gen Montes too-which happens to be my favorite body style!

My next 79 Monte is getting a custom hood treatment as well-in the form of a complete Shaker setup pirated from a 1974 Pontiac Ventura! That is gonna be fun!

Attachments

• new-front--view.jpg
    new-front--view.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,576

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
All those hood ideas look cool to me. But I also like Cowl hoods along as they don't go over 3" tall.

FE3X CLONE said:
I'm thinking if I take a few sheets of 1/4" plywood or masonite and cut templates out of it for the profile of the hood and scoop, then glue styrofoam in between the sheets and carve it to the shape I want, I can use that as a mold to make the fiberglass.
My brother made foam core for a rear wing. He used some blue foam insulation (made for basement walls I think) available from the local lumber yard. It is available 1"-4" thick. I think he started grooming it with a wire wheel and finished the work with sanding blocks. You can't lay the resin directly onto the foam though, it melts it.
I thought about making a W-30 style hood scoop that would set in between the body lines and also fill the molding groove. I considered a shaker hood, but Olds never had a shaker that I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor