Cutlass Supreme budget sleeper build

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Looking good!! Keep up the good work! more pics!! 8)

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
A little bit of wiring, a little bit of plumbing, made a list and checked it twice, and that was about it for phase one of the project. It started up on the very first try, which was unbelievable because I had installed a new HEI while the motor was out of the car, and it was drivable almost right away, after a good deal of carefully moving it forward and backward a few inches at a time and testing the brakes. I took my time putting it together, but still got it done in plenty of time to enjoy it a little bit before winter. The car came home on September 20th, and the picture at the gas station was the first drive, on October 20th. Here's one at it's first show, not much to show, I hadn't even detailed it yet, but still fun.

Attachments

• 0505completion.jpg
    0505completion.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 3,957
  • 0504completion.jpg
    0504completion.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 3,986
  • 0503completion.jpg
    0503completion.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 3,971
  • 0502completion.jpg
    0502completion.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 3,945
  • 0501completion.jpg
    0501completion.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 3,980

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Here's one of the quick exhaust system I threw on, just to have something. The interior is complete except there's no carpet, and with open headers, it was like the end of the world inside. Finally, a few of Fall cruising, and the last one as it sits now, waiting for the 8.5 and the '12 season. :D

If you've got any questions or there are any pictures you want to see, let me know. I have lots more, this was just sort of my summary of the build up to this point.

Attachments

• 0509completion.jpg
    0509completion.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 3,941
  • 0508completion.jpg
    0508completion.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 3,936
  • 0507completion.jpg
    0507completion.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 3,924
  • 0506completion.jpg
    0506completion.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 3,912

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
All them great pics you need to put them in your photo album so they can be seen anytime instead of just on this thread. Great job btw.

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
Absolutely beautiful car, it looks similar to mine only much cleaner. That 455 has got to be just a ton of fun in that car :D

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Great job. Car is sweet. Hope to have mine lookin that sleeper. Don't know if I'll be able to control the noise either :lol: . That 455 looks sweet though.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Lookin' good there Mike! That's motivation for me to finish my turd. Out of curiosity, have you done anything with the front springs at all?

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
awesome job. looks like great work

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the compliments. Mostly what you see is how I got it. Other than cleaning up the engine and stuffing it in there, I haven't done much else. It still has the 2.41 gears, so right now it really shines on the highway. I have an 8.5 3.42 posi picked out that's going in first thing when it warms up.

On the hood clearance, I can only guess it's got something to do with body or motor mounts, or just the dropdown of the air cleaner itself. It's closer than close, it's actually touching the insulation, but it still makes it. I'm planning to put something a little less flashy if I can find a factory air cleaner that has enough of a drop. On the upper hose, I believe I just asked for a an upper from a 1975 455 Cutlass, don't know the part number. I keep a list, and it's kind of funny with a car like this. When I have to go to the counter for parts, they ask what kind of car it's for, and I have to tell them '75 Cutlass for this, '83 Cutlass for that, '70 Olds 98 for the other thing... I keep my specs in the glove compartment, just in case I ever get hit by a train and someone else has to maintain the car. :D

On the springs, those are the factory V6 springs. The only suspension part I changed was the shocks, I went with Monroe Sensatracks. Those gave it a slight lift, but the factory shocks, which is what was still on there, were completely shot. I like the stance, but the spring rate might not be high enough on the fronts. Once I get new tires, I'll see what I think. If I did anything, I'd go with the mildest step up that would allow me to keep the same stance. The stock front springs as far as I can tell are 5598s, and I believe the MCSS springs are 5606s. I've seen these, and they tend to raise the front a bit. If they are the next step, I'd probably use those and cut off an inch. Still have to do my research here. I'd be interested in hearing your ideas or suggestions on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor