flowcooler waterpump

Status
Not open for further replies.

85 B Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2010
Has anyone used any of these waterpumps? They say they are hi flow pumps, I have just a stock 307, am I going to blow seals and gaskets with a hi flow pump?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
85 B Regal said:
Has anyone used any of these waterpumps? They say they are hi flow pumps, I have just a stock 307, am I going to blow seals and gaskets with a hi flow pump?

I have never used this brand but these are very similar to your stock pump other than the fact they have a plate on the back of the impeller that is suppose to increase flow and eliminate cavitation.They used to sell the plate separately that came with rivits (like under $10) but I don't know they still do.
You will have no problems blowing seals or gaskets with any hi flow pump but unless you are having cooling issues right now I would probably just replace your pump with a stock one if you need one.
If you do some performance upgrades later on then at some point you may need a hi flow pump but usually you get a bigger radiator first and possibly electric fans next and if you still have issues then a pump.
You can also play with pulley ratios to increase/decrease pump speed.

85 B Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2010
Mostly I'm just looking for a good quality pump. I'm tired of dealing with cheap napa chinese rebuilt crap failing in a matter of months. As long as there won't be any problems using this type of pump and its good quality, then that's what I want. Hell, nearly every car I've had had the original pump on it, and I nvr replaced one cuz it went bad, just to be on the safe side. That's the kind of quality I'm looking for.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The flowkooler pump is just a relabeled GMB pump that you can get from Autozone, etc. They just grind the GMB name off the inlet and slap a flowkooler sticker on it along with adding the plate to the impeller and charging you another $70 over the Autozone price.

I've used these pumps before and the one on my brother's 403 has lasted a long time however the one I bought for my 455 appears to be leaking already. I've heard that the quality on these have taken a nose dive in the past few years...

I've gotten to the point on a lot of this stuff that I'm just going to rebuild my own stuff instead of buying the store bought crap. This way I can spend good money on good parts to go inside them and have a superior product to the reman'd stuff.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I've had good success with the Edelbrock water pumps. I know that they're pricey, but for me, its a kind of get what you pay for kind of thing. Good luck on your search.

85 B Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2010
Hmm, well if that's true about them just being a gmb pump then that's dissapointing. I'm not suprised about quality going down in the last few years, when has quality ever improved over the years on anything? I would've considered the edelbrock pump, except they don't make one for oldsmobile. :(. And that was my original plan, to rebuild the original, I've kept all my original pumps. I just don't know how to go about it, I don't have press or anything.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
clean8485 said:
I've had good success with the Edelbrock water pumps. I know that they're pricey, but for me, its a kind of get what you pay for kind of thing. Good luck on your search.[/quote

x2
It's too bad Edelbrock doesn't make a pump for your Olds, I always had good luck with those and I am still running one.
I was very suprised at what little options you have for water pump replacements, it seems to go from your basic auto store replacement pump and then jumps to high end and very pricey electric water pumps with really nothing in between.

85 B Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2010
Ya I know, there's always a lack of aftermarket support for BOP. :( Ill prolly just rebuild my original pump, any ideas on how or where to find info on rebuilding water pumps?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
85 B Regal said:
Ya I know, there's always a lack of aftermarket support for BOP. :( Ill prolly just rebuild my original pump, any ideas on how or where to find info on rebuilding water pumps?

I did a google search for rebuilding a water pump and came up with a few articles. Really doesn't look to be all that hard, the biggest problem is needing a press to press out the shaft and bearings.

Also, not sure what brands you have been buying but you might try an AC Delco unit if you haven't already. Granted they are still likely made in Mexico but chances are they would have a little better quality control than the other stuff. Possibly...

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
If were talking olds here, my buddy's 468 had cooling issues.

He did a 160*Tstat, griffin aluminum radiator, and dual electric fans, but the car would not stay cool. Ended up doing a rebuild for bearing issues and this time went with a GMB pump.

GMB-130-1260P from summit for $65.95. You'll need to buy a special pulley to go with it, but now he cant get his car to warm up. You have to idle in traffic for a long time for it to reach 160.

Another thing that helped was he added a variable speed fan controller from derale. It ramps the fans on slowly so its not hard on your alternator and fuses/relays. Also your fans spend alot less time running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor