Cutlass Supreme budget sleeper build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
I don't know what kind of cam your buddy with the 454 was running, but I don't think a mild motor is going to have any problems, as long as you set up the cooling system properly. My theory is that people are putting cars together with parts from various cars, and they're forgetting to put the spring in the lower radiator hose, which is the low-pressure side of the system. Rev the motor a little bit and the hose collapses, keep the revs over 1,500 to 2,000 and it stays collapsed and flow is drastically reduced. Put a spring in, make sure the radiator isn't clogged, make sure the thermostat and cap are new, and use a working clutch fan with a shroud and you won't have any problems.

I've already had the car out a couple times, started right up. It's running good, but I really can't wait to get rid of the 2.41s. I have a family situation going on right now that's going to be taking most of my time, so not a lot is going to be happening in the near future. Will still be checking in though...

Blew86442

Greasemonkey
Mar 8, 2012
Awesome build! I bought a cutlass with a sbc in it, it is a powerhouse but I have no idea what is done internally. Long story about that......

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
A couple minor updates since the last time I posted. Money has been tight, so the axle is temporarily on hold. The old tires were getting pretty scary, so I found a set of used 215-65-15s and threw those on the cheap 15" wheels I bought last year. I liked the whitewalls for the sleeper effect, and if I was buying new tires I'd probably go with white letter since I love the way they look, but I think the blackwalls are pretty cool, better than I expected. Blackwalls usually look unfinished to me, but with the wheels all cleaned up, I think they look ok.

Big news is the timing. I was having a heck of a time getting it timed right. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get more than about 10 degrees of centrifugal advance. My CR is about 9.9:1, and with my chosen full-sized starter (I refuse to use a mini starter) warm starts become a little difficult with anything more than about 15 degrees of initial advance. As a result, I was running only about 25 degrees of total timing. I tried messing with the stock weights and centerplate, and also the Mr. Gasket recurve kit, but I couldn't get anything to work. Finally, I picked up a Moroso 72300 recurve kit, installed it with the lightest springs, and all my problems were solved. I now have initial set to 15 degrees, and I get about 20 degrees of centrifugal by around 3,000 RPM, for a total of 35 degrees. I went just a little beyond this, maybe 16/36 and I got a slight bit of detonation on a hot day, so I went back to 15/35. To this I added a Napa VC1853 vacuum advance unit, which starts advance at 5-7 in/hg. I limited it to 10 degrees of advance with a home made aluminum plate, and now it runs almost perfectly. It has better throttle response, more power, it doesn't lug anymore (even with the 2.41s) and it even stalls higher. Generally, it just feels stronger, but more relaxed and composed. I can't recommend it highly enough -- get your timing right!

Attachments

• 6-2012a.jpg
    6-2012a.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,079

84clonewars

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I dont believe your swap was that easy, stop by my house and drop your 455 in my Hurst just to prove it, yea thats it just to prove it lol. Any updates on the interior yet?

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
84clonewars said:
I dont believe your swap was that easy, stop by my house and drop your 455 in my Hurst just to prove it, yea thats it just to prove it lol. Any updates on the interior yet?

Ha ha wait, do I get my engine back after that? :) No additional mods yet, I've got a small crisis situation that I'm trying to get past, and then car life can get back to normal.

84clonewars

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Possession is nine tenths lol, hopefully things work out sooner rather than later

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Blake442 said:
Just get stock 307/F41 springs when you're ready to replace them...

On a side note, I used 307 frame and motor mounts and it fit like a glove.

Yep, that's what I was saying elsewhere, that the 455 fits like it was meant to be there. I wonder about the differences between the motor mounts, I used 307 G-body frame mounts and the motor mounts were for a '70 98, and it fits just right. On the springs, I am concerned that the F41s are going to raise it too much. Is that what you have on yours? I was thinking about going with the 5658s, those might sit closer to where it is now. I've done a little research on it already, I'm sure I'll pull up more pictures before I actually buy anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor