Hood scoops for the G-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
Howdy,

Possibly going to an aftermarket intake on the 455 that will negate any hood clearance I have. I'm too cheap to buy an aftermarket hood at the moment and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or leads on a good hood scoop for Cutlasses/G-bodies in general. It's hard to find ones that look good, and I don't want a cowl hood if I can avoid it. Not a big fan.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
ask cutlassjesse, hell school ya on whats what.

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
How about a reproduction Hurst/Olds scoop from Lauren Engineering? They look like they belong on the car and I believe they're even a little taller than the originals for extra clearance. If I'm not mistaken dogshit had one on his Cutlass and even made it functional.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Thanks yep they are cheap and easy and look like the original Hurst Olds hood. I made mine functional but you don't have to. You can see it in my pics just click the little camera button off to the right. No bondo or body work either.

Here is another good link for a 455 Olds in an Olds Gbody.
http://www.robertpowersmotorsports.com

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
Wow. This has turned into an awesome forum since I was last here. Thank you guys for the prompt and good responses. Those are a little pricier than I was hoping for but they look a lot better than any of the cheap ones I'd found.

On the height, I am currently using a 60s Toronado intake with a 1" spacer, a Quadrajet and a Edelbrock Pro-Flo 1000 air cleaner (triangle one at the bottom, shortest air cleaner I've found http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... rome.shtml) and I might have a half inch of clearance. Maybe it's my motor mounts, I don't know. But I'm going to a Holley DP and a square bore intake (unless my Toro intake is dual pattern...car is at the shop, gonna check when I get it back), and any of the Edelbrock intakes I've shopped are at least 2 inches taller than my current intake. Obviously I won't re-use the spacer, but even that's not enough space savings on mine.

Who knows. Maybe my car is weird or I'm doing something wrong.

dogshit, did you use the A or B scoop? I'm leaning towards the B, and it will be made functional as I have a spare hood from my 86 to cut up.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
What motor mounts are you using?

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
A. Its a cheap easy solution at $149. Did you look at a drop base and I have an extra low profile 2.25" K&N type filter never used if you are interested. Its blue though. fwiw If both are tuned to your combo the double pumper will give you a little bit at the track but you will pay for it in tuning aggravation in changing weather, fuel consumption, and drive-ability on the street.

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
The frame mounts are the stock 307 mounts and the engine mounts are OEM replacement G-body Cutlass mounts I got from O'Reilly's. I didn't know there was anything better at the time, but if there are that would help.

On the DP vs. the Q-jet, I'm a Q-jet fan but I'm sort of tired of them. They are fantastic when they work but when they break it's quite expensive to get one properly rebuilt and I'm not knowledgeable enough to do it myself at this point. I'm not abandoning them for all time, but I'd like to try a Holley out and see if I can get the hang of it. I understand they are very crude compared to a Quadrajet but if I can master one it's worth it to me and maybe I can move up to doing Q-jets when I have more time to actually sit down and study a book on them.

Would a drop base be any shorter than what I already have? The triangle cleaner I have right now doesn't have anything under it, it sits directly on top of the carb.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
A drop base drops the filter around the carb. A normal 3" filter ends up being about the same height as the low profile flat bottom triangle shape thingys. With the short 2.25" filter I have even shorter but you often need either a slight bubble lid or a filter top so that they breath well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor