ls 5.3 swap into my 85 el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
That's a nice swap man, I'm driving a rental 2012 Tahoe with 16k miles and a 5.3 while my 1999 tahoe gets body work done w...I really want to get one of these and to put in my regal now.

hamiltonbs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2012
the radiator hoses are stock ones for a 01 suburban that I just trimmed off a bit. No air yet, I planned on making a bracket that goes where the belt tensioner is and use a R4 compressor for a 90 chevy pickup. the A/C hoses I plan to use are for a 85 cutlass with a 307 olds. we will see how they work.

hamiltonbs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2012
the headers are patriots for swapping a ls1 into a s10. I found them on ebay. they worked great!

thedoctorisin

Greasemonkey
Nov 25, 2009
East Bay Area, S.F. Ca.
Very clean swap, I was looking at your pics in your profile earlier. With those iroc wheels, did you use just fronts or just rears or what? I always wondered because the fronts and rears have a different offset as a set.

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
hamiltonbs said:
I planned on making a bracket that goes where the belt tensioner is and use a R4 compressor for a 90 chevy pickup.

I think my AC pump was a '91 Caprice, or Camaro I don't remember. The bracket was kinda tricky, but it's always fun making your own stuff
006-1.jpg

hamiltonbs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2012
that compressor bracket and mounting looks awesome, that is exacty how it looks in my head! My wheels are irocs off the 88-90 models. They are regular front and backs, I put the front on the back and the backs on the front with 1/2" spacers and longer studs. Thanks everyone on the positive coments, I am happy with the way it is going now!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I'm jealous... :wink: What transmission you using?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i looked at the modified crossmember and it's different then mine, But i had a 2004r, now i'm going with a 4l65E. Went with the same idea of extending the trans mount pad. 8)

galvesm

n00b
Apr 24, 2012
how much power does that 5.3l make might want to go that route because the motors are dirt cheap instead of an ls1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor