The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

Custom Hood

Tech articles about restoration and modification w/ stock parts (aka. "restification")

To deflect or not to deflect

Deflector Hood
33%
Cowl Hood
46%
Flat Hood
21%

Total votes : 39

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Re: Custom Hood

Postby FE3X CLONE on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:59 am

85Supreme wrote:Is my cowl hood considered one that doesnt keep the body lines? If so i disagree with that statement.

I didn't say they don't keep or line up with the body lines but rather aesthetically don't flow with the rest of the car or its overall body shape.
Andrew Geeting
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme - FE3X Pro-touring project
EFI 455/T-56/4.30
Image_________________________________________________________________________________

sleepycutlasscruzer
Master Mechanic

Postby sleepycutlasscruzer on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 am

cowl hoods are good but i think if you put some thought into a design of your own you'd be happier with the end result. p.s. i love my gbody but that blue camaro is sick!
83 cutlass cruzer. 355 sbc forged pistons .305 heads 10.1 compression. jasper 350 trans.flowtech headers, edelbrock intake and carb ,Big End 110 gph fuel pump, flowmaster duel exhaust, comp alum roller rockers, sealed power hardend push rods, BIG END perf, 2000 stall, posi w/ Eaton 28 spline carrier,Moser 28 spl axels, Motive perf. 3:73 gear, B&M shift kit and extra capacity trans pan, Monte SS big ft and rr sway bars, UMI rear control arms ,Koni adjustable shocks, other goodies on the way>

92 gmc sierra/ 2wd short bed v8. best ,$1500 ive ever spent!!!!!

88 cutlass supreme /sold

96 cadillac seville.black on black, family car, makes kids in mustangs go wtf just happened!!!!!!!!

Burnhard
G Body Guru

Postby Burnhard on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:44 am

I have not found a hood that looks good on a Olds G body,I'm going with a rare alum hood and a ram air set up.There has not been a hood that flows well with the olds G body other than the stock hood.If I had to put a hood on that was not factory I would say a 1" cowl hood looks okay.

gmachinzz
G Body Guru

Postby gmachinzz on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:14 pm

new-front--view.jpg

I posted this in another thread but here's my "scoop" I fabricated to clear some of my brake upgrade-I wanted a look that was custom but still looked factory. It also keeps with the natural curvy body lines of the 3rd gen Montes too-which happens to be my favorite body style!

My next 79 Monte is getting a custom hood treatment as well-in the form of a complete Shaker setup pirated from a 1974 Pontiac Ventura! That is gonna be fun!

Bowiemontecarlo86
Royal Smart Person

Postby Bowiemontecarlo86 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:15 pm

All those hood ideas look cool to me. But I also like Cowl hoods along as they don't go over 3" tall.
1986 Monte Carlo 4.3 my second Monte and won't be my last .

xitabl442
G Body Guru

Postby xitabl442 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:14 pm

FE3X CLONE wrote:
I'm thinking if I take a few sheets of 1/4" plywood or masonite and cut templates out of it for the profile of the hood and scoop, then glue styrofoam in between the sheets and carve it to the shape I want, I can use that as a mold to make the fiberglass.

My brother made foam core for a rear wing. He used some blue foam insulation (made for basement walls I think) available from the local lumber yard. It is available 1"-4" thick. I think he started grooming it with a wire wheel and finished the work with sanding blocks. You can't lay the resin directly onto the foam though, it melts it.
I thought about making a W-30 style hood scoop that would set in between the body lines and also fill the molding groove. I considered a shaker hood, but Olds never had a shaker that I remember.
Live your life like an exclamation, not an explanation.

1986 Olds 442, 350 TPI from an '89 Vette. Original 200R4 back in, Aftermarket harness/computer chip, mid-length headers, custom 2.5 exhaust w/ x-pipe and side exit. Eibach springs all around, SC&C Stage 2+ front suspension, boxed rear suspension arms. Custom painted Coys C-67 wheels 17x8 fr, 17x9 rr.
59k miles, second owner.
Disassembled for paint.

Previous

Return to Restoration and Restification