? Hollow front sway bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I have the big Monte Carlo SS sway bar which weighs a ton. Is there an OEM large hollow one I might score at a boneyard? Is it true the F bodies use the same exact bar?

thanks

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
F-body bar(s) is hollow and will bolt in.

There were a few different diameter's. 36mm and 34mm are probably the most common but I believe there may have also been a 32mm bar as well.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i thought the 36mm was a bit harder to find? , I got one out of a 1LE Camaro awhile and even when i go junkyard shopping it seems bigger then the ones i've seen..

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
From what I've been told and found the 36 mm is the hardest one to find, it was supposedly only on the Firebird's with the WS6 suspension package

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
it was also featured in the 87 IROC with the 5.7L TPI motor. I believe they used these until 89... maybe up to 92

I've heard they bolt right up, but you need to use the bushing clamps that came with the bar, because the larger ID of the bushing. Is this correct?

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
WS6 competition suspension package Trans Ams or 1LE ditto Camaro from early 90s. Last I checked (a few years) GM partsdirect still had this bar and much cheaper than the bright paint name brand bars. I used the 36mm hollow with the factory Gbody rear bar and it was a good street combination. The 36 hollow is a stiffer (but not overly) than our gbody F41 suspension package bar and much lighter.

Reactions: 1 user

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
dogshit,
did you use the clamps from your car? or the ones that came with the new bar? I've heard the bushings are larger and a tight fit with the f41 bar clamps.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i bought my 36mm bar from the local chevy dealer, i had found the original part number, it was $80 iirc. and i used a set of energy suspension universal 36 mm bushings and clamps i got from summit and it bolted up perfectly

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've taken my 36mm bar from a Firebird GTA. I took the clamps and bushings. I get two opposing stories as to what clamps fit and which ones don't. Some guys say that you can reuse your stock G-body clamps using the 36mm bushings, others say you can bolt the Firebird clamps and bushings right on to a G-body.. It's a bit conflicting.
I plan on using the bar on my wagon, and would also like to know what I can or cannot use.
It currently has the 32mm GN front bar, which works quite well.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
I just installed my F41 front sway bar, i used i think the 2 1/2 bushing from autozone, idk my buddy works there so he got the bushing for me...but dont know what size in mm the bar is..got the front and rear sway bars at the yard off a GP..

53abc749.jpg

61c7994c.jpg

2c901ce4.jpg

d721c481.jpg

Can n e one tell me the sizes for front and rear..mm wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor