Can i use parts from this rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
There is a complete rear end for sale by me out of an 02 trans am. Has posi and 2.73 gears with disc brakes. I was wondering what parts can I use from this? Im mainly concerned about the axles, carrier, and gears. Not sure if they still used the 7.5 in them. Also, what style posi unit would have came with it?

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
Hey, The Rear Will Most Likely Have A Zexel Torsen Posi Unit In It. They Are Gear Driven And Are A Great Diff. I Would Snatch It Up And Use The Gears And Posi Diff. The Actually Housing Will Not Fit In A G Body. But If It Is Cheap Enough I Would Grab It! It Should Have 28 Spline Axles, So You Would Have To Upgrade To 28 Spline Axles If You Use The Torsen Diff In A 7.5 Inch. Here Is A Pic Of A Torsen Posi Unit:
torsen_3.jpg

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
ElCamMan515 said:
Hey, The Rear Will Most Likely Have A Zexel Torsen Posi Unit In It. They Are Gear Driven And Are A Great Diff. I Would Snatch It Up And Use The Gears And Posi Diff. The Actually Housing Will Not Fit In A G Body. But If It Is Cheap Enough I Would Grab It! It Should Have 28 Spline Axles, So You Would Have To Upgrade To 28 Spline Axles If You Use The Torsen Diff In A 7.5 Inch. Here Is A Pic Of A Torsen Posi Unit:
torsen_3.jpg

Thanks. So, im assuming the axles are the wrong length? I know the housing wont work, just wanted to make sure I could use the guts. Is $250 a good price? I was hoping I could at least sell the disc brake set up and scrap the rest to make some money back.

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
$250.00 For The Rear? Yeah I Would Say That Is A Good Price. You Can Find Just The Torsen Units On Ebay For Around $180.00. I Am Not Sure About The Axle Length. Try Searching A Trans/Am And Camaro Forum For That Information.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
The f body axles are too long. IIRC they are over 30 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor