Replacing a g body windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
How hard is it to remove the old windshield and put in a new one? Should I leave to the pros?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you don't save much doing it by yourself. I got quoted 160 for the windsheild and 190 with installation and that's in Canada so you won't be paying that price..I did have my windshield out for that price. I had just painted the car

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Agree, let the pro's do it. But if you have a replacement handy, then it pays to do it yourself. Getting a broken one out is easy, no need to be careful. But getting a good one out without ruining it is usually an ordeal. Even if a shop does it I would go over it with some GOOD marine caulking like BOATLIFE.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I was quoted 240 dollars by two local shops.

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Pulled my replacement windshield myself for $10 at a u pull it yard. They had a special all glass $10 a piece. It just took a knife and some patience. Looked into doing it myself since my brother could get me the adhesive for free but decided it just wasnt worth the touble when a local shop only charged $75 to installing it for me.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It is difficult trying to remove one without cracking it. Especially if you don't possess the proper tools. I called up my local glass shop to try and get a quote for removing my windshield so I can repair some rust. They wouldn't accept the liability and the price that was quoted reflected a new windshield...which I now need anyway.
I think they quoted me like $290.00 installed for a new PPG windshield. Being that I already have it removed, windshield frame cleaned, repaired, and primed...and will be painted prior to installation. I think at this point I'll buy a new one and install it myself.
I know this had been discussed before, but I get several different views. What does everyone like to use as an adhesive?.
I hear mostly urethane caulk. Some guys mention butyl tape. What's everyone's preference?

Mark, I love the subway scene...brings back memories. :)

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, you can almost smell the stale piss, right? :rofl: I removed the windshield from my Malibu wagon and saved it because it was perfect. I bought that oscillating tool from HF just for that job, figured the $20 cost was worth the glass. It cut the old sealer away nicely and quickly and won't hurt the glass if you hit it, then I went around it with piano wire, to get any stuff I missed, and that frees it up cleanly. I like to use the rolled up ribbon to set the glass on (is that butyl?) and then I smear LIFECAULK around all the edges for a permanent seal. I NEVER get a leak after all that.
image_19062.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used one of these to get the windshield out and it worked pretty well. I slid it between the window and ledge from the inside and cut the adhesive. It came out without breaking cause I wasn't using it again... :mrgreen:

15922d1320020119-1283032863-lino.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor