How to do an emissions delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Wondering if anyone knows how to delete all the emission crap thats for the 305. The car is a 1986 Monte carlo Sport coupe with no computer. Thanks!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
remove your emissions equipment;

Cap off / unplug the EGR, Remove the Cat Convertor, Unplug the Charcoal Canister, ect. Then unplug all the other vacuum hoses to the carb keeping the vacuum advance, brake booster, and PCV hooked up. Wire open the heat riser valve ( if you still have one on the PS exhaust manifold )

But I have to ask why ?? Really no great power to be found with an emissions delete. I actually am looking at replacing my hollowed out cat-convertor ( car stinks in a drive thru or in heavy traffic without it ), EGR, and Charcoal Canister. I want to at least pass a basic visual inspection if MTO yanks me over.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
axisg said:
remove your emissions equipment;

Cap off / unplug the EGR, Remove the Cat Convertor, Unplug the Charcoal Canister, ect. Then unplug all the other vacuum hoses to the carb keeping the vacuum advance, brake booster, and PCV hooked up. Wire open the heat riser valve ( if you still have one on the PS exhaust manifold )

But I have to ask why ?? Really no great power to be found with an emissions delete. I actually am looking at replacing my hollowed out cat-convertor ( car stinks in a drive thru or in heavy traffic without it ), EGR, and Charcoal Canister. I want to at least pass a basic visual inspection if MTO yanks me over.

Oh ok I thought that the emissions crap would hurt the performance of the car. My car already doesn't have a cat and I can't tell when it smells a bit. So if I remove the charcoal canister would that hurt the engine at all?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I suggest you leave the EGR in place, although it recirculates burnt fuel it lowers the combustion chamber temps which allow you to run your timing with more advance..for cats they have spun cats that were designed for race cars which have virtually no resistance...get caught without either they can tow and impound your car and you get a $385.00 ticket

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Lorenzo said:
So if I remove the charcoal canister would that hurt the engine at all?

No.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
pontiacgp said:
I suggest you leave the EGR in place, although it recirculates burnt fuel it lowers the combustion chamber temps which allow you to run your timing with more advance..for cats they have spun cats that were designed for race cars which have virtually no resistance...get caught without either they can tow and impound your car and you get a $385.00 ticket
For Canada, if a car is older than 1987 (mines 86) Ido not require cats because my car doesn't need emissions

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Lorenzo said:
pontiacgp said:
For Canada, if a car is older than 1987 (mines 86) Ido not require cats because my car doesn't need emissions

sorry but you are wrong about that...

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
pontiacgp said:
Lorenzo said:
pontiacgp said:

sorry but you are wrong about that...

Oh? I was told that before by one of my friends . I've seen lots of cars older than mines with no sort of fake cat on and they seemed fine. My car has passed safety and cert with the exhaust like that

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
maybe you should let your friend read this..

Catalytic Converters

5. (1), (2) Revoked: O. Reg. 191/10, s. 6.
(3) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a catalytic converter, no person shall alter or cause or permit the alteration of the motor or motor vehicle in a manner that permits exhaust emissions to bypass the catalytic converter. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.
(4) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle that was manufactured with a catalytic converter if the catalytic converter, or any replacement for the catalytic converter,
(a) is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended; or
(b) is disconnected, removed or otherwise altered so that it is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.
Visible Emissions

6. (1) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a light vehicle from which there is a visible emission for more than 15 seconds in any five-minute period. O. Reg. 401/98, s. 1; O. Reg. 86/99, s. 5 (1); O. Reg. 343/01, s. 5 (1).
(2) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a heavy vehicle from which there is a visible emission for more than 15 seconds in any five-minute period. O. Reg. 401/98, s. 1; O. Reg. 86/99, s. 5 (2); O. Reg. 343/01, s. 5 (2).
Emission Control Systems or Devices

6.1 The following types of systems and devices are prescribed for the purpose of subsection 22 (4) of the Act:
1. A system or device that is manufactured by the manufacturer of the system or device that is being replaced and,
i. is identical to or equivalent to the system or device that is being replaced, or
ii. is manufactured as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced.
2. A system or device that is approved by the Bureau of Automobile Repair, the California Air Resources Board, the United States Environmental Protection Agency or another body specified by the Director as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 6.
7. (1) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a system or device to prevent or lessen the emission of any contaminant, including an on-board diagnostic system designed to identify motor or emissions control system problems and regulate motor or emission control system operations, the following standards are prescribed as additional maximum emission standards for the vehicle:
1. The system or device, or any replacement therefor, must be maintained or kept in such a state of repair that it is capable of performing the function for which it was intended.
2. The system or device, or any replacement therefor, must be kept installed on, attached to or incorporated in the motor or motor vehicle in such a manner that, when the motor or motor vehicle is operating, the system or device functions in the manner in which it was intended to function. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6; O. Reg. 191/10, s. 7.
(2) Every motor vehicle for which emission standards are prescribed in this section shall comply with those standards. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.
(3) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor vehicle that does not comply with subsection (2). O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0361_e.htm

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Well no cop has even told me yet that my exhaust is illegal, even when they pulled me over for thinking i didnt have my seatbelt on... And the reason i want to rid of the emissions crap is because it clutter up the engine bay. And since i dont need emissions anymore, why bother having it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor