New Hampshire
still chopping sh*t up
trim.jpg

and my shitty welding job
100MEDIA_IMAG0036.jpg

half done
100MEDIA_IMAG0037.jpg

trim2.jpg

had some problems with welding cuz im new to it but i should be finished that side tomorow then on to the other side

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
more progress on shaving the bed trim. im shitty at welding so its taking a while but i should have it done in a few days
100MEDIA_IMAG0040.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0044.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0047.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0046.jpg

and a while back i got rear ended by a friend so i thought id try my hand at fiberglass. ill finish it up tomorrow
the damage
100MEDIA_IMAG0041.jpg

and after a few layers of glass
100MEDIA_IMAG0042.jpg

let me know wacha think and any ideas

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Lol,great mines think alike!!! I did the same to my El last year(shaved bed rails and trim rivets) done mine the same way,but also tacked a 2" strip on top of deleted rails/tops of bed sides,and topped it off with some metal ready bondo(featheredged inner and outer edges of stip)i havent decided yet if I want to weld in the sails,as they have something to do with the rear window trim(rivets,that clips attach to secure trim)im in the process of fabbing up a spoiler on the tailgat top ledge,and also looking to cut in a 02 caddy deville 3ft long rear 3rd brake light(upper trunk)in the space between the top of the elco' :!: rear window trim and roof,now with the deleted trim rivets it should sit niCEly and be flushed in with the 5"space the Elco has in that area.dont stop now!!! Youre on a roll,do away with that hideous gas door and relocate the filler to the inside of the bed,as I have also done(nothing to it)& BELIEVE me you will LOVE that you did!if you need some reference pics lmk,ill text you some pics.keep up the KICK-*ss work,and ill have my girl get a qouate from gh this weekend,and send you some pics of the fender manana. :wink:

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
L.A.X-RATED said:
Lol,great mines think alike!!! I did the same to my El last year(shaved bed rails and trim rivets) done mine the same way,but also tacked a 2" strip on top of deleted rails/tops of bed sides,and topped it off with some metal ready bondo(featheredged inner and outer edges of stip)i havent decided yet if I want to weld in the sails,as they have something to do with the rear window trim(rivets,that clips attach to secure trim)im in the process of fabbing up a spoiler on the tailgat top ledge,and also looking to cut in a 02 caddy deville 3ft long rear 3rd brake light(upper trunk)in the space between the top of the elco' :!: rear window trim and roof,now with the deleted trim rivets it should sit niCEly and be flushed in with the 5"space the Elco has in that area.dont stop now!!! Youre on a roll,do away with that hideous gas door and relocate the filler to the inside of the bed,as I have also done(nothing to it)& BELIEVE me you will LOVE that you did!if you need some reference pics lmk,ill text you some pics.keep up the KICK-*ss work,and ill have my girl get a qouate from gh this weekend,and send you some pics of the fender manana. :wink:
dude like for real i already bought a gas door to put in the bed and have a spare tank that im making a new filler neck to haha. everyone i talked to said to weld in a strip of metal on the bed for the trim but im already balls deep in it so i figured id just finish it the way i started. id love to see some pics of your work. i was thinking about welding a metal lip spoiler to the tailgate too haha

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
2 things with the glasswork. Doesnt appear that you went back down to glass before adding more matt and resin. Hopefully you dont have delamination issues. Secondly it looks like you may have used a tad too much hardener. This could possibly make it brittle. Anyways great job. Your putting forth a valiant effort on those bedrails. Welding is quite fun and practice makes perfect.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
mebe007 said:
2 things with the glasswork. Doesnt appear that you went back down to glass before adding more matt and resin. Hopefully you dont have delamination issues. Secondly it looks like you may have used a tad too much hardener. This could possibly make it brittle. Anyways great job. Your putting forth a valiant effort on those bedrails. Welding is quite fun and practice makes perfect.
oh sh*t i didnt even know you were supposed to do that. and yeah it was very brittle haha i just went for it i didnt look up how to do it or anything but i didnt get a chance to work on it today so ill see maybe tomorrow if it will work or not. thanks for the advice man. oh and those damn bedrails i hate so much. i need to still do another 4 hours of welding and grinding but im having fun with it and learning

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
so i got a little side tracked from finishing the bed yesterday and took a ride down to my local audio store just to get a nice amp install kit cuz i want to do subs at some point and ended up buying a 4 guage install kit, a 550W alpine amp and a 8" alpine type r sub. its a little sub but it bumps hard. exactally what i was going for so i spend yesterday putting that it. i want to mount the amp somewhere so it looks nice and float it with some red leds so it glows
100MEDIA_IMAG0048.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor