Fiberglass Hood Hinge Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
I have a 1980 Malibu with a fibersgass 4 inch cowl hood from fiberboy products. Hinges are attached, but the springs have been removed. Everytime I need to get under the hood I have to prop it up or have someone hold it. Does anyone know of a light weight sring that can be used that replaces the circle spring (sorry dont know the proper name for it) that came off of the hinge?

I did a search to see if there are any postings about this. I found where some guys were using gas springs to open and close their hoods. I cant find any examples of this though. Anyone have pictures of this? Or any ideas of what can be done to keep my hood open?

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
I can be wrong, but i think with those fiberglass hoods., you cant put springs or latches, those were made for either pop off hoods, or with hood locks...u will have to drill a hole and put those pins in to hold the hood down....chime in guys :mrgreen:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
t01blaze said:
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=105647

I think hes talking about the spring in front of hood thats not closing correctly....not the hinges..

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
something like this u might need....

Attachments

• hood_locks.jpg
    hood_locks.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 4,020

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Little confused. But if you're talking about when you pull the hood latch to pop it -- that is a function of the "hood pop spring" (as opposed to the coil springs that normally go in the hinges of the hood -- their function is to hold the hood up when it's fully extended).

Ebay has tons of hood pop springs. Better yet just hit your local auto wreckers -- that's where I got mine, off a GP. Sanded it, primed and painted and it works very well for my 4" cowl fiberglass hood.

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
Sorry for the confusion. I am speaking of the hinge spring. The hood latch is removed and hood pins have been installed. I want to be able to remove the pins, lift up the hood and it stays open. The original hood hinge is bolted to the hood just like the factory hood would have been. There is nothing to keep the hood open unless I prop it with a stick or have someone hold it open for me.

Attached is a photo of the spring I was talking about in my original post. The spring that I took off of the hinge looked like that. Hope this helps with the confusion.

Attachments

• imagesCA47176N.jpg
    imagesCA47176N.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 2,870

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Ahhhhh got ya, yea ur best bet is the junk yards :mrgreen: :wink:

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Years ago when I had a normal opening harwood hood, I completely removed the factoryspring mechanism & added gas shock 10mm pivots to front of hood hinge. I think some later g-body's like regals came with shocks. Sorry I never kept my shock #'s or took pics, but it's not a big fabrication project.I hand picked a pr of shocks from an auto parts store by compressing & judging strength & length (approx 10 to 12" overall??) . Made lower mounts to attach to fenderwells with a few extra holes for adjustment. You can do a little simple figuring for location by putting tape on sides of hood near hinge & figure shock lenth open & compressed & how high you want to open hood & mark your locations. Besides stronger or weaker shock choices, remember that closer to hinge pivot means more movement but less strength & vice versa.
This isn't that hard with a little figuring & shock studs are available separately, got some from napa recently. Trust me this is very simple compared to my latest hood hinge mechanism.
DSC00547.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor