1979 El Camino Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
Luxury Sport Elco said:
Damn bro u puttin in work, keep at it its coming out good. What gauge of steel are you using to shave everything?
thanks man and on the bed um just welding the existing steel but on the doors and everything else im using 20 gauge and a little bit of 18 i have laying around. thanks for looking man

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
ok so its been a while since i posted anything on the build but ive been doing some work; new front fender, gas door shaved and relocated to the bed, i got a new tattoo on my back, went on a big cruise with my car club (ill post a video when its done being edited) i put in my subs and floated my amp. i think thats it but ive been working alot.
100MEDIA_IMAG0066.jpg

i kinda like the look of white haha put it has been painted black to match
100MEDIA_IMAG0064.jpg

i did the tank with gas resistant hose $27 a foot!
100MEDIA_IMAG0065.jpg

shitty welding atempts haha
576954_3728641256433_1837723819_n.jpg

my tattoo
100MEDIA_IMAG0083.jpg

and then this is the new gas door on a plate i made to go with the bed. the ribs in the bed didnt permit me to mount it cleanly. and then my friend engraved it for me by hand.
just was welded today and i need to fill it and smooth it out. let me know wacha guys think and any ideas!

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
For a first coat of filler over you're welding, I'd get some USC or evercoat all metal, Which is basically resin & ground up aluminum. Best thing for the rough areas for strength & to keep out moisture. Some of the OLD guys these days use it where they used to use lead filler.Final smooth with a regular grade of evercoat or whatnot. Don't skimp on quality of fillers.
Is that just a flux wire mig you're runnin? If you don't have one , a small rotary stainless wirebrush in a drill to cleanup between welds might help you out. And before final level of grinding/ smoothing , tap down any high spots. A high spot is worse than a low spot for finishing.
I know you didn,t ask for my help, but if I can I,d be glad to. :twisted:
Joe

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
great work luke!!! aint nothing to it,but to do it!!!! it wasnt as bad as you thought huh? ive gotta leave my k5 alone for a minute and finnish my tailgate(spoiler :wink: )and my hood(gonna fab and weld one up,easy ill get you some pics of the progress)was it you needing the seat belt retractors? did the same friend who did your engraving on the gas door surround,do your tat? came out pretty good.keep up the progress,and ill be looking forward to the updates!!! 8)

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
jlcustomz said:
For a first coat of filler over you're welding, I'd get some USC or evercoat all metal, Which is basically resin & ground up aluminum. Best thing for the rough areas for strength & to keep out moisture. Some of the OLD guys these days use it where they used to use lead filler.Final smooth with a regular grade of evercoat or whatnot. Don't skimp on quality of fillers.
Is that just a flux wire mig you're runnin? If you don't have one , a small rotary stainless wirebrush in a drill to cleanup between welds might help you out. And before final level of grinding/ smoothing , tap down any high spots. A high spot is worse than a low spot for finishing.
I know you didn,t ask for my help, but if I can I,d be glad to. :twisted:
Joe
thanks for the advide man and yeah im running a wire feed mig just a tiny one. and ill check out that filler stuff, sounds like it would work good. thanks!

Dave V said:
Nice work with the gas fill in the bed how is the fill up time?
thanks man and i have to go a little slow but it fills good for the most part. when i first filled it it overflowed a but but then i want like half spped and it was fine.

L.A.X-RATED said:
great work luke!!! aint nothing to it,but to do it!!!! it wasnt as bad as you thought huh? ive gotta leave my k5 alone for a minute and finnish my tailgate(spoiler :wink: )and my hood(gonna fab and weld one up,easy ill get you some pics of the progress)was it you needing the seat belt retractors? did the same friend who did your engraving on the gas door surround,do your tat? came out pretty good.keep up the progress,and ill be looking forward to the updates!!! 8)
thanks man and i didnt need selt belt retractors, must have been someone else haha but yeah i want to see more of your ideas and that spoiler! and my friend who did the engraving doesent do tats but i told him he would be good at it. thanks again for the fender!

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
so just wanted to thank boatshoes for my rear roll pan, gave me a hell of a deal on it. i wanted to make some custom tear drop tailights in it but check it out. the last pic is before i hammer and trim it. i wanted it to roll into it so it didnt look like i just slapped some lights on..
100MEDIA_IMAG0088.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0089.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0090.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0091.jpg

still need to do alot of work to it but let me know wacha think

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
jlcustomz said:
Interesting look, kinda looks like what I think they call a smear, Like the expression Elvis & Billy Idol always had. Adding a little character is always cool.
haha ive never heard the term, guess im too young for it. i was going for something like the 1959 impala cat eye tail lights but a bit more custom

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Thats hella sweet!! Nice work! And its different too.. I like :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor