87 ss tail lights not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

viera

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
I already checked bulbs n head light switch (both r new). Everything else works except my tail lights. Brake light works too. What could it be??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is a brown wire on the left hand side of the fuse box. I think it's the 3rd or 4th wire up from the bottom. That is the wire that feeds your back lites, it's an aluminium wire and probably the source of your problem

Rasheerh

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2007
Cincinnati, oh
this happened in my cutty, my wire was broke bought a connector for wires and fixed the problem

viera

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
pontiacgp said:
there is a brown wire on the left hand side of the fuse box. I think it's the 3rd or 4th wire up from the bottom. That is the wire that feeds your back lites, it's an aluminium wire and probably the source of your problem

Sure enough... Wire was cut when alarm was install I guess. Thanks a bunch man!!

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
pontiacgp..i hope you're around in a few weeks when i drop this motor in and i get to my wiring.. :mrgreen:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
I have the same problem, just happened, my brake lights work when i step on brake, but when i turn my lights on, my side markers and front lights turn on, but my tail lights and license plate light wont come on.. I checked the fuse and it was blown #20 fuse, so i changed it and tried it again, and nothing .. All the other light come on...

Pontiac: could it be that brown wire as well.. I will ck light bulbs, but if i step on Brake that means the bulbs are not it?? Right?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the brake lites work and your parking lites up front but not your tail lites then it's more than likely that brown wire. It's aluminium wire and it causes problems

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
viera said:
pontiacgp said:

Sure enough... Wire was cut when alarm was install I guess. Thanks a bunch man!!

Mine had the same problem so that's how I knew. It took me a while to figure it out tho when it happenned. Glad I could help you out

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
if the brake lites work and your parking lites up front but not your tail lites then it's more than likely that brown wire. It's aluminium wire and it causes problems

Ok sweet! i do see the brown wire going to the back like in a tube to the fuse box then back to the trunk...i will follow it to make sure it all good...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor