VVT for SBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
When I was a kid I used to swipe old car mags from my grandparents basement. I even still have some. I always loved the ads and the cool products that are now no longer available. One that I remember seeing in some '68/'69 Hot Rod magazines was for Varicam. It's basically a centrifugal advance for your timing chain. There is little info available on the internet but last night I ran across one on ebay. Check it out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Small-Blo ... ts&vxp=mtr
I'm sure there must have been reliability issues or they'd still be around. Still, I always thought it was a cool concept. The OEs didn't really start doing it until the mid '90s and GM is really starting to use it alot now. Funny to see a "gimicky" product from the '60s being employed and marketed as high tech today. Any of you guys remember these or have any personal experience?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Wow, that's a new one on me, and I've been collecting car magazines since the '70s. It must have had some issues with proper operation/reliability as you've said, or it might have been around longer. Kind of neat to think that it may have been the precursor to the more modern VVT systems that we're seeing today. Maybe it was too good, and one of the big manufacturers bought the technology in order to keep it off the market.

79malibubbctt

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2011
cb, ia
It is pretty cool. I loved looking at old magazines too. Its cool to see what made it and didnt make it on the aftermarket parts venues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor