Rack and Pinion in a G body

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mystery_man said:
So no one wants to discuss this or give any info on putting a rack and pinion in these g bodies.

it's been done and there are kits on the market. What's left to discuss?

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
There is no "bolt in and go" street rack and pinion unit that I know of (there is one that is used for drag racing and is not a power steering unit). A rack and pinion unit in a g-body would have the same geometry issues to deal with as the stock steering (except the pitman and idler arms). I would think that the length of the R&P steering arms would be a major issue (4" arms installed in a car with 7" long arms). Our G-bodies already have problems with Ackerman and bumpsteer and could even be worse with a R&P not designed specifically for our G-bodies. Just my opinion!
I would think that the engine cradle/cross member of our G-body would need alot of rework or replacement because it's in the way of correcting the stock steering problems.
Doug

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
The modified pinto rack is the only kit available, and you have to weld the bracket in. Horsepower did a buick g-bofy wagon where they installed the rack. The reason your not gettin any details about the rack install because we haven't done it. Me personally I would if O had a bag full of money(my old mans saying) but I'll rather put $650 else where.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you're interested in getting rid of weight and want to stay with power steering we use a box in the race car that's 7 pounds lighter than a stock box. It's expensive but cheaper than the kit for rack and pinion

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
The TRZ rack&pinion is a modified Pinto rack&pinion. If you read the disclaimer, you'll see it is a race only product and TRZ will not be held responsable for miss use of their product (street use!?).

Doug

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
oldtinsmith said:
The TRZ rack&pinion is a modified Pinto rack&pinion. If you read the disclaimer, you'll see it is a race only product and TRZ will not be held responsable for miss use of their product (street use!?).

Doug

As you can probably guess that is for insurance purposes. You should see the instructions we get with race equipment. For a $2,000 containment seat they don't give you any instructions on how to put it together or to install it in the car. That way we can't go back and say we did it as per the instructions to hold them at fault for something.

XCESSIV6

Apprentice
Apr 5, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
I have driven the TRZ you must have popeye forearms if you try to park a car. It's ok if your moving at a descent speed, I wouldn't do it it's a waste of money.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
JBreu said:
Mystery_man said:
So no one wants to discuss this or give any info on putting a rack and pinion in these g bodies.
Why would you want to is the question I guess....I went with the S-10 manual box, freed up some HP and lost some weight...Easy swap and on the cheap to 8)

Mainly weight and ability get a quicker stearing response.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
pontiacgp said:
Mystery_man said:

it's been done and there are kits on the market. What's left to discuss?

True. I just think if enough people get together and put their heads together we could figure out what the pros/cons of doing this. Maybe figure out what ratios would work for what, discuss how to get rid of the issues we have with our steering, and so on and so forth.

I wasnt meaning to piss or offend anyone. I love my car, but it has old outdated tech that can be improved on.

Also with my buddy and I working on fabbing up things we can do about anything. I would also be able to make a how to for things that actually work.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor