500 Cadillac in a G Body

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
any chance you can do a write up on the installation of the new heating system you put into the car?

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
"....If you love us, you'll post a youtube video of the car running so we can all hear it...."

One of those things I haven't gotten aropund to yet.....I'll have to hand my phone to my buddy one of these days as I leave his shop (he does get a little grumpy when I fill his office with tire smoke however.

"......any chance you can do a write up on the installation of the new heating system you put into the car?....."

That's pretty much covered here

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=25429

The company I bought it from (Hot rod Air) is out of buisness now, but the install is pretty standard for most of the aftermarket universal setups..

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
You can also stick with the factory Gbody heating system. In fact with the right brackets pulleys etc from an 80/81 368 and an Edlebrock intake you can run the factory gbody AC. I did.

jhrice

n00b
Mar 24, 2012
I put a 71 500 from an Eldorado in my 81 Malibu Wagon back in the mid 90's when I lived in New Mexico. It was all stock except the BBC headers I cut the exhaust flanges off and put the custom caddy flanges on I made. It had a T-350 behind it and a 7.5 rearend out of a 86 Monte Carlo SS. That car was the most fun and least amount of money I spent in all the cars I built. I showed up many IROC, Trans AM and a few 5.0 Mustangs my taillights! Wish I still had it! :(

87 supreme

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2013
Western PA
Very nice clean install/swap!! Looks as if GM put it in there. I had a 78 scottdale with a 509 miss it all the time.

Attachments

• 100_2768A.jpg
    100_2768A.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,588

87 supreme

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2013
Western PA
Mike P if you would like to run an edelbrock intake I have one you could try (just pay shipping). I believe you'd have the hood clearance, 3 to 4 in taller i believe. Those stock intake are Heavy and were never intended for performance. The Eddy is seriously 35lb lighter and have a much better shot into the runners of your heads. The stock intake runners run uphill. Believe me that intake will wake up your 507. The eddy will accept either a Q-jet or a holly 4150 base. PM me if you'd like.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Can't beat that offer. 8) You need a good drop base air cleaner and either a smaller 2 1/4" breather or to remove some insulation and center hood bracing to fit without rub. I am thinking mine actually only saved 22lbs which is still a lot. No noticeable torque loss but it definitely picked up some hp and extended the rpm range that it made power in. The edelbrock can pull to 5,000 rpms in a 500 before becoming a hindrance from different dyno & track tests that I have read about ie further than the stocker.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
87 supreme said:
Mike P if you would like to run an edelbrock intake I have one you could try (just pay shipping). I believe you'd have the hood clearance, 3 to 4 in taller i believe. Those stock intake are Heavy and were never intended for performance. The Eddy is seriously 35lb lighter and have a much better shot into the runners of your heads. The stock intake runners run uphill. Believe me that intake will wake up your 507. The eddy will accept either a Q-jet or a holly 4150 base. PM me if you'd like.

If Mike doesnt want to take you up on that offer, (and you are willing), I would take you up on the offer.

87 supreme

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2013
Western PA
Sure thing online170, I love my caddy big blocks had three of them a 472, 507, and a pretty nasty 509. here is my 509 in a 79 stepside c10

Attachments

• 100_2989A.JPG
    100_2989A.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,535

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor