SBC 313ci Nitrous

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.E.W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2012
Geneva, OH
I'm sure I will be there just not with my car till I get everything done. Got a lot to finish. I hope to have it out there by mid June. Any pictures of your cars that will be out there?

Attachments

• 15176-1986-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.jpg
    15176-1986-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_20121204_143227.jpg
    IMG_20121204_143227.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 1,290

P.E.W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2012
Geneva, OH
Did a little more porting to the roof of the heads today then I cc'd them. I am really amazed, 184cc's on the intake side and 69cc on the exhaust side. These 081 heads are awesome, if I didn't do ALL the porting and machining myself these heads would cost a LOT of money to replicate. I hope to have them flowed soon, but have to find out what the cost is and who is able to do it around my area.
Will be pulling the rear out soon to upgrade it to something that will hold the power and last with some good steep gears. Will be looking into a trans brake as well. This will be a really fun car when I am done. I will always keep this post updated till I am all done with this wild yet hated little small block.
Also wanted to add that if anyone will be in Northern Ohio May 25, 2013 there will be a "Chassis Dyno" outside of Goblin custom cycles in Geneva-on-the-lake Ohio 44041.

P.E.W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2012
Geneva, OH
Sorry its been a while, Was wondering how well Moser axles will hold up in my 7.5 rear, 26 spline? Girdle cover, solid pinion spacer. Lots of people talk about going to the 28 spline stock axles but wouldn't Moser 26 be stronger than stock 28? I put a locker in it when I did the 4.10 gears a few years ago. I've been reading a talking to others and they have plain rebuilt 7.5's running high 12's. I already put money in it so I was hoping to just upgrade the axles with new C-clips. I want it to last till I can put in a better rear ( Think Back Half). I just installed an XS282S cam with 1.65 rockers - specs are 572/594 lift 244/252 duration 110 lsa advanced 4*. Ported the intake a little more. A modified Holley 650DP ported .003 over, no choke and K&N stub stack. I know a lot of you have built these great cars for drag racing, is there anything I might be missing or ideas that would help? Going to solid upper and lower control arms, 2" drop spindles. I Love this thing. It sounds so wicked and revs quicker than you can blink. :D

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Awesome build, I agree with you about the smaller engines I have been collecting parts to start a build on the 260 olds in my car, with all the guys building "big" power motors it's funny when they get it handed to them by a 283 or 305, when I seen you run Thompson I know now why it all sounded familiar that is the closest good track for people from my area, next being Norwalk, both are well over 100 miles away. I've never been to Thompson but I would love to watch that car run, if you can do solid 11's that's a good combo, better than most guys get on motors almost twice your size. I actually joined this forum to search out parts and maybe some 260 tips as I'm new to Olds motors, did get some parts from a good seller but all I got was "pull it out and stick this in" crap, I have seen hundreds of guys "build" a 350+ inch motor for $5,000+++ and have it run 13.65-14.15 and it is the funniest thing to look at the sad face they have. Cudos to you for actually building a motor that can run well, I am in the process of building my own intake as nobody makes anything decent for olds motors and , doing extensive work on a pair of stock heads, Olds motors are tough nobody ever bothered making any real power out of them so you really can't get quality parts for one, things like multi-ratio roller rockers, stud girdles, solid roller lifters, aluminum balancers are all either not available or one source only, years of SBC spoiled me I guess. You talked about a flow bench I believe Tregler race engines in Erie has one, not positive, Huddard performance in Ohio might as well, you should get them flowed, they really need to be matched to the lift on the cam, and they can tell you what the max lift is before they start to fall off. Good luck keep us posted I will be for sure following this build

P.E.W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2012
Geneva, OH
I know Hutter Racing Engines. I should call there, I have been there many times, Its only 30 minutes from my house. For your engine, Dr. Olds - Joe Mondello (R.I.P) was the man on those engines. I know that they are scarce, but you can do all the normal engine stuff. Like 0 deck block, prep all the stock parts, Find the best matched heads, Port and mill them, do work to the valves, set up a good valve train. Small solid cam. Port match the intake, with a 600 carb. A stall converter and gears. If your going to run it often at the track a 100 shot of nitrous to wake it up a little more. The small bore make nitrous very efficient. From what I have read, the 260, 307 can share some parts, but don't quote me. lol. Do as much of the work yourself as possible. I spent a lot of time studying my 307 sbc and putting it all on paper before I started working on it. I plan to work to a 2 stage progressive nitrous system in the late future for 600+ horsepower. My favorite part about my build is that I am willing to bet there is no other one out there and people will be really surprised when I tell them it's a 313. My block is painted white so you can see the casting number really good. 3970020!

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Haha I just realized I called them Hudder, good thing you have heard of them so you didn't search for a misspelled company, 955 Automotive in Erie does all my machine work that I can't do myself at work, Jason is a close friend of mine, and is hands down the smartest motor builder I have ever met. He built all my circle track stuff for years, and is a huge help on the 260 stuff. He has quite a few Olds motors out their so he fills in the gaps on the stuff that is new to me, a motor is a motor when it comes to making power, it's some of the odd things Olds did that can hinder you, ( non adjustable valvetrain, open center two exhaust ports, fuel pump location, and overall weak block design with poor oiling system) I like to do something out of the ordinary, and keeping a 260 in one of these cars is frowned upon, but I also like to tinker, and love to prove people wrong lol. I have a chassis dyno two blocks from my house that I could always play on, I might put this car on the drums before winter I am dieing to know what this hated motor makes for power, and what it could be made into. Keep up the good work ill be watching for updates

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Should be interesting to see. One night years ago I was at Milan Dragway and the announcer said it was a 10,000rpm 305, I'm also guessing nitrous because it sounded like a chainsaw, and the guy ran in the 7-8 second range.

P.E.W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2012
Geneva, OH
Finally back on the build. Made some changes after talking to Comp Cams. Posted a video update on YouTube (Nitrous SBC 313ci Monte Carlo). I'm pulling the engine and trans back out. Want to make some other changes I didn't talk about in the video. Anything to make it lighter and faster. Hope everyone likes what I've got going on. Thank you.

P.E.W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2012
Geneva, OH
DRIVEN said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpiu8DLB_5U

Thanks for the update.

Thank you, I don't know how to post the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor