Light Weight Drag Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Im looking to see what you guys are using for drag wheels. There is some ET and HP to be saved from having to spin these heavy wheels and I'd like to benefit from that. I bet a lot of you have done this homework already an could save me the searching.

Cost is obviously a factor. Billet Specialties stuff is a bit expensive.

If you could post part numbers, cost and weight if available it would be great.

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
bogarts are some of the best drag wheels
pricey though

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Can't go wrong with some used Weld wheels. They're a lot of sets out there priced between 400 and 800 bucks. They're light weight and in my opinion hard to beat.

Another option I would look hard at are the cheap offerings from Jeg's and Summitt. The prices are very reasonable and the wheels look really good.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Agreed welds are some of the lightest ive ever seen.

I was looking at the summit brand ones but have no idea on the weight. I dont want them to be like some of the centerlines which end up heavier than steelies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Typical drag only wheels usually run about $400+ per wheel (Bogarts, Weld Magnum etc.) while these wheels are extremely light they were not designed with street use in mind.
I will assume you are looking more for a street/strip type aluminum wheel especially if you are saying cost is a factor.
You didn't mention sizes so I am going to go with a typical Gbody 15 x 4 in the front and 15 x 8 in the rear and for a set expect to pay from $750-$1000.
I think Weld Racing and Centerline both have a good selection of sizes and I both have a lot of backspacing choices so you shouldn't need spacers or adapters.
Welds rims have the Prostar and Draglites for reasonable pricing and for a little more you can get the RTS forged.
Centerline has the Convo Pros, Auto Drag, Qualifier, and the Rev.
I have used both of these companies rims and they are made well and are lightweight and are what I consider affordable for what I need them to do.
There are other companies like American Racing and the Summit and Jegs brands that have lower priced aluminum rims but probably weight more.
My rims right now are Convo Pros with a 15 x 8.5 rear @ 13lbs and a 15 x 4 @ 9lbs.
If you search your local Craigslist you might find a decent used set, maybe even with tires or slicks but typically the rims will need polishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor