The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

Light Weight Drag Wheels

Stuff like brakes, frame, springs/shocks, tranny's, etc. etc.
online170
G Body Guru

Light Weight Drag Wheels

Postby online170 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:44 am

Im looking to see what you guys are using for drag wheels. There is some ET and HP to be saved from having to spin these heavy wheels and I'd like to benefit from that. I bet a lot of you have done this homework already an could save me the searching.

Cost is obviously a factor. Billet Specialties stuff is a bit expensive.

If you could post part numbers, cost and weight if available it would be great.
-Azeem K.
Ottawa, ON, Canada

onyxxtreme
G Body Guru

Re: Light Weight Drag Wheels

Postby onyxxtreme on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 am

bogarts are some of the best drag wheels
pricey though
'85 granny sedan Cutlass

Csilvy2000
Master Mechanic

Postby Csilvy2000 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 am

Can't go wrong with some used Weld wheels. They're a lot of sets out there priced between 400 and 800 bucks. They're light weight and in my opinion hard to beat.

Another option I would look hard at are the cheap offerings from Jeg's and Summitt. The prices are very reasonable and the wheels look really good.
1979 Olds Cutlass H/O with an LS swap
1979 Olds Cutlass Calais 86,000 miles, sitting and waiting
1979 Olds Cutlass Supreme-daily driver
1978 Chevy El Camino-future with a 406 SBC
2000 Chevy Silverado with 6.0 swap-high 12 sec truck
1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with 351 and every available option

online170
G Body Guru

Postby online170 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:54 am

Agreed welds are some of the lightest ive ever seen.

I was looking at the summit brand ones but have no idea on the weight. I dont want them to be like some of the centerlines which end up heavier than steelies.
-Azeem K.
Ottawa, ON, Canada

565bbchevy
Royal Smart Person

Postby 565bbchevy on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:57 am

Typical drag only wheels usually run about $400+ per wheel (Bogarts, Weld Magnum etc.) while these wheels are extremely light they were not designed with street use in mind.
I will assume you are looking more for a street/strip type aluminum wheel especially if you are saying cost is a factor.
You didn't mention sizes so I am going to go with a typical Gbody 15 x 4 in the front and 15 x 8 in the rear and for a set expect to pay from $750-$1000.
I think Weld Racing and Centerline both have a good selection of sizes and I both have a lot of backspacing choices so you shouldn't need spacers or adapters.
Welds rims have the Prostar and Draglites for reasonable pricing and for a little more you can get the RTS forged.
Centerline has the Convo Pros, Auto Drag, Qualifier, and the Rev.
I have used both of these companies rims and they are made well and are lightweight and are what I consider affordable for what I need them to do.
There are other companies like American Racing and the Summit and Jegs brands that have lower priced aluminum rims but probably weight more.
My rims right now are Convo Pros with a 15 x 8.5 rear @ 13lbs and a 15 x 4 @ 9lbs.
If you search your local Craigslist you might find a decent used set, maybe even with tires or slicks but typically the rims will need polishing
565 BBC,Merlin Race Block,Callies Crank,Eagle 6.535L19 Rods,Cam Motion Custom Roller 4/7 swap cam,AFR CNC335 heads all Manley parts,Ported Super Victor,Quickfuel 1150,MSD 7AL-3,HVC coil,billet dist,timing computer.Lemon's Headers 2-1/4" to 2-3/8" to 4-1/2". 2 chamber Flowmasters with 4" tailpipes over the axle.TCI 400 full manual competition trans,4000 stall, Moser 9" Detroit Locker, 410 gear,Wilwood disc,Zex Nitrous, etc.
Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/JWwJF1t4jvE http://youtu.be/fPh7cIipBM4 http://youtu.be/EkXhFbqZ4UY
"I have a habit of not leaving well enough alone"

Return to Chassis / Drivetrain / Suspension / Wheels