Ignition stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I really hope someone can give me the answer I need.I parked my car and when I went back and put my key in the ignition it won't turn like its locked.I put some WD in it to see if it was stuck but nothing I turn the steering from side to side while trying to turn the key and still nothing it just won't turn forward or backward what can I do to unlock it.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Mine did that a couple of times when it sat in the hot sun for awhile. It was OK when it cooled down. I replaced the lock cylinder which seems to have fixed it. I couldn't see anything wrong with the old one, though.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
x2 on the lock cylinder. Mine was tempermental. I had to put the key in a certain speed and angle it a certain way to get it to turn. Nobody could start my car or turn the key but me :lol:

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
So what else can I check or do to fix this problem.How do I remove the lock cylinder if that's what I have to do.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
If the car is turned off while the steering is in a bind it will lock the key. Try tuning the steering wheel and the key and see if it is in a bind.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
x2 turn the wheel and jiggle the key. it might take s bit but should come unlocked. it happen in my truck it seem liked every time i got in the dang thing.i did end up replacing mine as well. it can be fun to replace them. you will have to remove the wheel and dismantle the column to get the cylinder out.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I've tried the steering wheel and key thing for 2 days and nothing still locked the ignition will not budge I guess I might have to call a lock smith to come and replace it and see if that fixes the problem unless anyone else knows something else I can do.

AlamoCity210

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
I don't know I this is related or not but some time ago before I worked on my column and ignition my key got stuck in there with the car running. After takin it all apart, there was this spring looking thing that had got bent up preventing me to turn the key. I'll see if I can find a pic. May or may not be it. I definitely say it ain't worth a lock smith.

Here's a pic of that spring thing.
yguqy7yh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor