Regal charging only sometimes Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridinregal87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Hey everyone, I did some searching through the site, but I haven't found any threads too similar to my issue. 87 regal with 307, not sure which alternator. Well, a week ago I was drivin to albany, about an hour trip, check engine light came on, car died. I pushed it to a sears auto center, they jumped me and tested my charging system, said my alternator was toast. So i replaced both the alternator and battery, car started drove home, went to a friends house for about 30 minutes, went to leave, no crank, dead batt. get jumped, drive home, on the way i could watch my lights getting dimmer, wipers wiping slower, and my blinkers pretty much stopped blinking. warrantied the alternator, it was from advance, put it in, car was good for 2 days, until im drivin for about an hour again, and car starts dimming, running rough, cel came on, managed to get it to a gas station where i let it idle with the lights off for 20 minutes to try and charge, but shut off and wouldn't restart. got jumped, had a meter, and while in the parking lot was charging about 14.something, not sure cuz it was an analog meter. Had my buddy follow me home, car made it, but i had the same issue of lights dimming and blinkers not blinking twice on the drive home. charged it overnight, started it up, alt not charging, checked some wires and stuff, started again, charging this time 14.5 Now, i've noticed that the VOLT light has not come one once during these issues, though i get a check engine light. I see the bulb light up when i start my car, and then it goes off. I also noticed, when back feeding the VOLT bulb circuit with a 9V battery, that the VOLT bulb lights up regardless of the ign key position, when according to the wiring diagram it should only be able to work when key is in the run position. Im kinda stumped here. Im wondering if my ign switch is faulty and causing something weird to happedn with the exciter ckt, cuz when my alt is charging, it seems to be real high in the 14.7 range, is it running full tilt and frying itself? any help would be great. thanks in advance. i miss driving my regal

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
14.5 volts is what the alt. should be putting out. If your weren't getting 14.5 with it running I would say your alt is bad. There is something defiantly something wrong with your charging system. The car is supposed to run off the alt. when it is running. The only function the battery is supposed to have is to start the car, or as a backup if the alt dies. Did sears put a reman alt. in it or a new one? If its a reman, I have seen quite a few of them be bad right out of the box.

The alternator wires and positive battery cable go down to a fuseable link then connect to the big post on the starter solenoid. If the fuseable link is bad, the power the alternator puts would would stop at the fusable link and not get to the battery for maintaining charge or to the rest of the electrical system. Your car would then use the battery for power until it dies. Test the fuseable link to see if you have power on both sides of the fusible link, or with power removed from the circuit you could check for resistance on both sides of the link to see if the link is open circuit or not. If your meter says "OL" or out of limits or not voltage reading then there is a break in it, and the link is bad. If the link tests good, check the alternator wiring for damage. If that tests good, take the alternator off, and take it some where to get it tested.

Here is also a diagram of the charging system. http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diag ... ircuit.jpg

ridinregal87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2013
Western Massachusetts
I put the alt in, actually 2 alts so far Sears just told me it was bad, and couldn't help me cuz they were closing. I had the first one i put in tested after it died, it tested ok, but they gave me a new one anyways, and I got like 3 more days out of it. And yea, it charges 14.5 sometimes, but sometimes it wont charge at all, or be high, like 14.7-14.9, which seems high enough to toast an alternator. I usually don't have any problems until I've been driving it for an hour or so, so I was wondering if its an over heating issue, but I have no temp gauge, and the motor seems to run ok. I'm mainly wondering why I get no VOLT light when I have issues. I will check the fusible links, finally not freezing or raining near me. Thanks for responding, I'll update as I go.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
Are you testing the voltage at the battery or the alternator? Some thing I forgot to mention last time, have you checked your grounds? Check the battery grounds. The small ground that is on the negative bettery post needs to be hooked up as well as the big one. You should also have a body ground from the engine to the body. Its usually a copper grounding strap thats goes from the body to the back of one of the cylinder heads. I had a charging problem in my pickup after I rebuilt the engine and put it in. I didn't have the small battery to body ground, or the engine to body ground hooked up. I hooked them up and solved the problem.

ridinregal87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2013
Western Massachusetts
I have indeed checked the grounds, that was the first thing I did, all the wires/crimps/connectors are good, and I've tested voltage at both battery terminals and alternator, and to various grounds. My assumption is I have a bad wire somewhere, as I've been driving the car since September without problems, then all of a sudden one day no more charging, mostly when its hot, it seems to charge if I let it cool down. Thanks, going to check the fusible links now.

ridinregal87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Found a bad wire at the end of the fusible link near the starter. Someone before me has made a repair, and it didn't last. Any idea what gauge fusible link I should use? Thanks

ridinregal87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2013
Western Massachusetts
And I'm not sure that's the correct diagram for my car, there is no brown or white wire in that diagram. I hope repairing this fusible link corrects my issues.

ridinregal87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Nevermind, I lied. I found it, that diagram just threw me off, I've been going of the on in my haynes manual

ridinregal87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Though, I'm still not totally convinced that's the correct diagram. My alt has one big wire that goes directly to the battery positive, with a smaller red wire off the same alternator post that jumpers to a connector that has the brown wire in it. Looking at the diagrams in the haynes manual, my 87 is set up more like the 83-84 models, only with 2 fusible links, instead of one like the 83-84 diagram. I'm kinda confused as to why what I actually have for wiring is considerably different than all of these diagrams I have. Is it possible its been cobbed this bad? I had some issues with the carb when I first bought it, and found out someone had taken it apart and screwed up putting it back together, so I guess it's possibly someone who thought they knew what they were doing, didn't know what they were doing, but as I stated earlier, I've driven this thing since early september with no charging issues what-so-ever. Sorry for my long winded rants, I'm going to get the new fusible link, and after band practice, I'll put it in, and with fingers crossed, hopefully I can drive once again. Thanks for tuning in.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
I have the factory manual for a 85 cutlass. I would think the charging system wiring would be similar. I'll will take a look at the diagram in the book I got tomorrow. With a car almost 30 years old, its quite possible the wiring was rigged with some creative wiring to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor