removing body from frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibootay

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Grand prairie TX
How hard is it to take the body off the frame of my 81 malibu? what all is involved? what all do i need? I dont have a lift and would be doing it in my garage

malibootay

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Grand prairie TX
Well I was wanting to remove the body so I could either clean the frame and paint/por 15 it or have it powder coated. But I dont have a lift. Looking for the easiest way without a lift.thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
After removing your front fenders, hood, and rad support assembly...and I assume your engine and trans.
After unbolting the body, unhooking parking brake, steering column, linkage, etc.
Using a few floor jacks or construction type bottle jacks, you can gradually lift the body each side at a time. You'll need a few 4 x 4's across the underside of the body to support it when you're able to lift the body high enough off the frame.

Here's Doober's build thread. It might give you a few ideas of how to proceed . http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=113227

Make sure you soak all the body bolts with PB Blaster or a comparable penetrating oil. Everyday, or every other day, shoot penetrating oil between the bolts and body prior to breaking them loose. You can also try loosening them gradually with a breaker bar. Be patient and you might be able to loosen them all without snapping them. I was lucky in that respect.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Sent you a PM.

Doug

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If you are going to take it apart, take the front clip off in one piece. Before you pull the doors drill two 1/8 in holes in the hinge to body to re-align them when you go back together. Here is an idea for lifting the body off using the seat belt bolt holes.

Attachments

• blue 1.jpg
    blue 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,380
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor