The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
Get the GBodyForum e-mail newsletter!, Contests, Events, Deals, Forum News and More!
It appears you're not logged in! Not a member? Registration's FREE and only takes a minute!
Register now or Log in to hide this ad block.
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

1979 Malibu 9C1 For Sale

<b>This Section is for Individuals and Supporting Vendors only.</b><br />Please put your location in the subject: city AND state/prov.! THX! and...<br />
CARS AND PARTS ONLY PLEASE!
Forum rules
This Section of the site is for individuals or supporting vendors to sell cars and parts only
Any other posts will be deleted on a case by case and completely arbitrary basis by the admin and moderators.
Contact Admin@GBodyForum.com (or PM GP403) with any questions or to become a supporting vendor.
vanrah
Master Mechanic

Re: 1979 Malibu 9C1 For Sale

Postby vanrah on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Greeting agtw; You are correct that trying to get money back out of these G cars is nearly impossible! If you read my whole book, I mean my for sale post, you would understand that it is still my car and I will continue to maintain it to a very high level. Before I removed the steering box it steered like shit, 1-1/2 to 2 inches of slop at the steering wheel. And I believe that as it sets I've got $37276 setting out in the garage & going up. It's too damn much fun to take it apart so I'll just keep fix'in & driv'in it until I'm dead or someone decides that .50 cents on the dollar isn't too high of price. Excuse me in advance, but I (subjective of course) think that vertical back windows look like some pimp mobile wannabe Cadillac, No thanks. When I purchased this It was the fastest sheet medal full framed V8 I could buy, excluding the Grand Am. And I couldn't order a chevy V8 in a Grand Am! Some time in the future I hope to meet a couple of drunks or someone that has money but no time and they want an all around (balanced) performance automobile. It's very possible that that person isn't even aware of this forum or interested in G cars at this time. Thanks for post'in Bob Jr.

agtw31
Master Mechanic

Postby agtw31 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:00 pm

wow,your first post makes this car out to be damn near perfect

seems like everything is breaking on it now

ssn696
G Body Guru

Postby ssn696 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:04 pm

If you sell this car to some drunk...please leave the neighborhood before you have to see your baby mashed into a phone pole.

My read on this thread is that Bob has a lot of effort and history with this car, and before he spends any more of his pension on it, he'd like to pass it on to someone who will pick up where he left off.

If no drunks with deep pockets are appearing, I'd fix what's broke without dumping more into upgrades. As long as the car is safe - sounds like the steering box was one of those.

As your driving skills start to be outclassed by the car, then you can hire a young guy to chauffeur you in it, at high speed!
Malibu Fool
1980 Boss Wagon 330 HP 350, trans TBD
1980 Coupe 400 SBC, Tremec TKO600
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP LS3, T-6060 26K, #586 of 1829

vanrah
Master Mechanic

Postby vanrah on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:07 pm

Good Evening Guys; THANK YOU ssn696 for these words "My read on this thread is that Bob has a lot of effort and history with this car, and before he spends any more of his pension on it, he'd like to pass it on to someone who will pick up where he left off." You have obviously read most or all of my post, thanks again. How many 67.5 year old LMG (late middle aged) do you know that can still get up & off the floor (I use a 1/2" drive breaker from the under side) multipliable times setting valves, brakes, general under side maintenance & of course pulling out steering boxes. I need to scale back & these automobiles require maintenance too stay nice. And that brings me to mr agw31's post "your first post makes this car out to be damn near perfect" when in fact I said "This may be the nicest original 9C1 Malibu you can fine, the body is very nice NO rust ever and the med bronze paint is original.". So you twisted & edited my words. If I used the word perfect before in this post & I may have, I retract it right here! Words are just someones perspective, I once drove 90 miles one way to purchase a SD455 bird. The word the seller used was "mint". Arriving to rocker and rear quarters with holes through. The Brown Brick has NO rust, the Zeibart and my good care have preserved it quite well, not perfect! When something wears out or breaks I FIX it as soon funds become available. And I've been doing just that for near 35 years now. One last note on perfect, get 100 "G" cars with Original Paint together and I Feel that this Brown Brick will be the 98th or 99th nicest (subjective of course). Ssn696 I would like to sit down and have a beer with you after you take me for a ride. I can't afford to pay some one to chauffeur me as I have no company pension. My last direct job was Parker Pen and they are long gone. Owned by some hedge fund that ripped off the family and workers. I still buy the refills, made in UK or China. I had Rich Bickle jr take me for a drive a few years ago, but he would not stand on it. And I have to keep in perspective he has driven hot rods with a 1000 HP, so my little (big) mouse is just that. It's time for a younger guy and he should be doing this steering box, I need to retire. Bob Jr
PS: This front panel is the nastiest panel on the car, the rear is more typical of the other areas down low. It's NOT perfect!
Attachments
Malibu L-rear Qtr bot_09.JPG
Malibu L-fr rocker_09.JPG

vanrah
Master Mechanic

Postby vanrah on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Greetings; I’ll admit it Mr. agtw got under my skin (it’s thin) and I lashed out, my bad. I should explain some history for all you lucky younger guys. Back in the mid 1970’s Cadillac were junk formal cars that had 0 (ZERO) performance. And GM was destroying it’s self from within thanks to Roger Smith! So 1978 comes along and they make littler formal (vertical back window) cars with pillow seats and want-a-be Cadillac buyers purchased millions. At that time I became very jaded toward the want-a-be lux-formal cars (most A-G) cars & anything else that didn’t have real performance. Please keep in mind they were still “A” cars at this point. As I explained before I purchased the fastest full framed car that GM (excluding Vettes 185 HP?) made with the best aerodynamics (excluding Grand-Am’s) at that time. Keep in mind this 9C1 came with the awesome (?) 350” LM-1 (Ha-Ha) this was the standard engine for the Vette and Z-28. I don’t think Ford or Mopar had anything faster at the time (it was a sad time for hot roders). 5 years later 1984 and I had been blowing away everything made after 1975. Buick & Chevy turned their attention to a sportier theme. And that’s where most of you guys come in, your perception of “G” cars is much more performance orientated than mine. The HO SS Monty was a joke (you know they were 305”ers) my LM-1 would blow them away easy. The later Buicks (turbo’s) were nearly as quick as my 350. Of course by 1987 I had 406 inches and unless they (turbos) were modified they were toast. And not many were modified during the late 80’s. I hope that this explanation takes some of the bite out of my rant.
Back to the now, I cut the rag joint off the mid steering shaft & disassembled the upper coupler last night. So now I will have to turn to the after market for u joints as my steering wheel does nothing. And for us NASCAR fans I’ll need that wheel (steering) hooked to the front wheels or “I’ll be (getting) way behind on my steering”. You never want to get behind on your steering!
After much procrastination and stalling (budget) the car will NOT be going back wards to a near stock 9C1 under my ownership. I’m going to work toward the Amateur (pro) touring theme. I should mention that I put a deposit on another 700R4, since I still have most of the pieces to install it. What do they say about doing the same thing twice and excepting different results! Bob Jr.

vanrah
Master Mechanic

Postby vanrah on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Greetings Guys; I didn't fall off the edge (the flat planet). Just trying to keep out of trouble, since I have possibly pissed off half of the guys here. Please keep in mind that style is subjective & I'm damn glad that we all don't have red 69 Camaro's or Brown Bricks! Winter and the steering issues have kept me busy. I wanted to keep my OE collapse-able mid shaft (new after market $90+, GM $200?). So I looked at Borgeson joints & nothing off the shelf would re connect me. As the upper OE stamped steel & nylon u-joint boot designated in my hand as I angled it 15-20 degrees to get it out of my way during removal of the steering box. So now I have to buy 2 joints & one should be an isolation joint and they aren't cheep! Brown soft smelly stuff, I was considering having Borgeson make a custom joint. Here is the deal, after cutting off the rag joint you are left with a 1" dia. shaft down by the box. After cutting off the stamped upper u-joint & trimming the shaft from a 3/4" dia with pressed axle for the OE u-joint I'm left with a 3/4" DD. Time to sleep on it & put the thinking hat on, If I invert the shaft 1" dia facing the GM 1" DD I can purchase a Borgeson weld on joint P# 015268. It won't look stock! And for the box end 3/4"-30T to the now inverted shaft (a 3/4" DD) I can purchase an off the shelf isolation joint P# 154931 in stainless (also available in plane steel for $15 less). If you have read most of my book (for sale post) you may possible understand why I couldn't buy the plain steel. I had no choice for the weld on, stainless not available, makes sense. I'm at $198 just in joints plus welding. The box is on it's way to the left coast, Tommy Lee Manufacturing for a rebuild along with the pump. He wanted the pump to run on a test bench, to make sure the pressure valve, spool valve & all are working as a team. I have a bad feeling that he will tell me that my 8000 mile old re-manufactured pump is junk. Bob Jr.
PS: the pictures post in reverse order?
Attachments
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG

ssn696
G Body Guru

Postby ssn696 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 am

I totally dig the newspaper under your project. How appropriate: 'More Speed"!

I am also having a minor case of covet. Where did you find the steering wheel in the bag? Is that from a Camaro?

P.S. I have not figured out how the Forum seems to resort my uploaded pictures either.
Malibu Fool
1980 Boss Wagon 330 HP 350, trans TBD
1980 Coupe 400 SBC, Tremec TKO600
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP LS3, T-6060 26K, #586 of 1829

vanrah
Master Mechanic

Postby vanrah on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 am

Good Morning Guys; I was concentrating on my project & never noticed the paper, how appropriate. The steering wheel in the bag was for for orientation, so myself & viewers would know witch way the shaft was positioned in the car. It's the OE wheel, removed in August of 1979 and loaned out for the last 12 years to my good buddy. The deal was he had to lace a tan leather cover on it. So last year when I thought that the Brown Brick would sell I called it back, because the one thing that I would like to keep is my JPS Mono steering wheel. I'm kinda attached to it after 34+ years of great steer'in. So good buddy had to find himself a wheel, we should of looked on this site but didn't grasp the enormity of this forum or others. Anyway he found a black one (same spokes) and we have made a trade. He has to lace on a new black cover & then he can have my tan wheel. So the new owner will get a black leather covered wheel to better match my arm rests, dash cluster, seat belts & shifter ball. The ball (NASCAR 50th anniversary) is another part that I will not be parting ways with as it is on loan to me. The Hurst ball is black & very similar.
Lee manufacturing called late Monday, they had already received my box & pump. It seems that most of the wear is in the recirculating ball path area $265 ++. So now after spending $198 on joints, $300 (+est) on box and $100+ on AN fittings & SS hose I will add these costs to the bottom line. At .50 cents on the dollar these parts will be a steal. Please note my Parker high pressure hose, about 4 yrs & 8000 miles old, it is for sale. Real soon I will post my Buick axle, OE drive shaft, OE tan arm rests, near new rear brake drums (5500 mi), spare AC compressor (large axial) and maybe my dual horn OE air cleaner with a chrome lid & duct work back to the radiator support. I just can NOT de-content this automobile, pulling off the stickers was as far as I got (& that was NOT very far). The lower OE front "A" arms are next on the chopping block, and with those replaced that would conclude the complete upgrade of the steering & front suspension! Thanks for look'in Bob Jr.

vanrah
Master Mechanic

Postby vanrah on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Greetings Guys; Randy W. if you see this post, please check out my up coming for sale post. I'll be posting Buick & Malibu parts, please guys buy something and help offset the cost of fixing the steering slop. My wife forces me to watch the Home & Garden channel way too much but I may have learned from it. If you can't sell a house you change the appearance ($$$$) and if that holds true for cars, I need a new look - theme! So I'm going the Semi Pro touring look or the Plus Amateur touring look, I don't know the difference. I need a decorator - professional stager. With that being said my 35 year old wheels (outa date white stove & frig) gota go? Anyway here are pictures of my wheels, they aren't perfect, one has a goober (stone pooped from under another car's tire). What do you guys think I should ask for them in my up coming post? The top picture is of the damaged wheel, just above the valve @ 1:30 position. Bob Jr.
PS: These are anodized, they don't look too bad for 35 years old!
Attachments
WesternRR_353.JPG
WesternRF_352.JPG
WesternLR_355.JPG
WesternLF_354.JPG

Blake442
Royal Smart Person

Postby Blake442 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Why don't you go back to trolling ROP, Andy?
Or did they finally boot you and you have to come here?

If you aren't interested in the guys car, then leave it alone.

Being a douche bag probably isn't the best way to drum up business for yourself around here... :roll:
'85 Oldsmobile 442--Olds 455-TH400
'83 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser--Chevy 350-TH350
Past G's--'81 Regal, '84 El Camino, '79 Cutlass Supreme, '87 Cutlass Salon,
'81 Monte Carlo, '81 El Camino, '79 Malibu Wagon, '81 Century Estate Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to For Sale / Trade